I think i need some help to fend off strangers who like to come close to my 15mo daughter. In the first place, she is overly sociable and waves to everyone she sees outside. So people reciprocate and wave back... but some come up to touch her face/fingers. I am ok if people wave back n keep their distance n give us personal space. but what i cannot tolerate is when aunties n uncles hover ard behind her (when she is strapped to a high chair at coffee shops = meaning meal time etc) and then my girl will have to turn ard almost like 180 deg to see the person. tell me i am normal n not overreacting... i m not at all pleased when the cleaning uncle or aunty comes up close to touch her. once, a stranger aunty who was sweaty (i really saw perspiration trickling down her) after clearing dishes at a coffee shop asked if she could carry my daughter! honestly, i freaked out but just said "no, i just applied medicated cream on her..." hey but then i thought to myself right after, what the heck i dont owe anyone any explanation for not allowing them (a complete stranger) to touch my child! A stranger not in the best hygienic physical state asked to carry my baby! Did she not consider that? Pls tell me how do you fend these people off whilst trying to remain polite n not too hostile? Because of so many of such occurences, my hubby n i dread going to coffeeshops n zi char stalls now bec these always happen at such venues. At restaurants n cafes, no one bothers us. At most the server or waitress comes over to smile or wave but they dont cross the line by touching or ask to carry her. I really need help. I cannot be skipping coffeeshops n hawker centres...

1 Replies

VIP Member

i will just smile and put my arms around my child high chair to show my 'stand' that this IS my child. no you are not being over reacting it's normal for parents especially mothers. I will just say, auntie don't carry thank you. Be firm. you don't owe them a explaination! you are the mummy after all

Many thanks Jorelle. How abt when they distract your little one when you are desperately trying to make her concentrate and finish up her meal (when u are feeding lo)? They stand next to high chair n touch her hand and hold her little fingers? I get so annoyed... coz she is still teething and will put her fingers into her mouth occasionally. I always say loudly to my daughter "come, lets finish up quickly. don't play now pls. lets play later. don't bother aunty uncle..they are working..." but they dun hear... they dun get my hints...sigh...

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles