Cord Blood Banking

Hi, I am reading up about cord blood baking and deciding if I should be donating or storing it. I came across this information on SCBB website “Data have shown most unlikely that the donor should ever need his own cord blood unit as most transplant physicians may not feel that the patient’s own cord blood unit is the best choice. This is because it may already carry the genetic abnormality that led to the blood or immune system failure or cancer in the first place.” Base on the statement above, isn’t it redundant to store baby’s cord blood because it can’t be used since it already carry genetic abnormality? Another question I have is - if choosing to bank it for personal use and *touchwood* something happen to the child at say age 18, aren’t the amount of blood stored from the cord is too little to use on a grown teenager? I am certainly meeting up with agents to speak more about it but meanwhile would like to hear different views and opinions on this platform. Thanks!

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I find cord blood banking is unnecessary since 99% or maybe more of the stored cord blood will never be used. And you're right the cord blood can only be used for childhood diseases once they grow up the amount won't be enough anyway. And the conditions which can be treated by cord blood are very rare. I wanted to donate my child's cord blood to SCBB, however the amount was not high enough for public storage so they gave me the option to switch to private storage which comes with a higher price. I think donating is the best option.

Read more
5y ago

Thanks for sharing! Would like to know if you eventually went ahead to do private banking as the count is insufficient for donation?

VIP Member

I had attended pregnancy seminar and SCBB representative gave speech too. But in general, only 20% which had enough count will be kept as donation in their blood bank. They will ask u either want to throw or save there. ( 1 years 200 sgd with 5 years contract. Can save up to 21 years.) She suggested me to keep for own use until 5 years old as chances to be used is very low. They have helpline. U may call.

Read more
5y ago

Thanks for sharing! Ah if the cost is $200 annually for personal banking then it is quite reasonable tho. Will check more with the agent !

VIP Member

From what I understand it can be used for baby itself and siblings. You can check further with the agent. And based on past statictic, the number of cases that used the cord blood for treatment is very low. It's just like buying insurance. Both me and husband decided to donate to public pool so at least the chance to use is higher and may benefit others as well.

Read more

Correct me if I am wrong From what I read, cord blood is usually used for medical treatment for their siblings, not the baby him/herself

Cord blood is usually store for siblings. Usually after 12 years old won’t have much effect anymore.

Super Mum

Yup, you are right. The cord blood you store is for siblings, cannot be used by ownself.

VIP Member

I would go for it if I can afford it financially. Just want to be safer