Cord Blood Banking

Hi, I am reading up about cord blood baking and deciding if I should be donating or storing it. I came across this information on SCBB website “Data have shown most unlikely that the donor should ever need his own cord blood unit as most transplant physicians may not feel that the patient’s own cord blood unit is the best choice. This is because it may already carry the genetic abnormality that led to the blood or immune system failure or cancer in the first place.” Base on the statement above, isn’t it redundant to store baby’s cord blood because it can’t be used since it already carry genetic abnormality? Another question I have is - if choosing to bank it for personal use and *touchwood* something happen to the child at say age 18, aren’t the amount of blood stored from the cord is too little to use on a grown teenager? I am certainly meeting up with agents to speak more about it but meanwhile would like to hear different views and opinions on this platform. Thanks!

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Yup, you are right. The cord blood you store is for siblings, cannot be used by ownself.