I need some advice. My husband wanna upgrade to EC, and i tempted after he suggested , but in the meanwhile if we sell the hdb no place to stay. My husband suggested stay at his mum place 1st, I disagreed . I tell him i rather cont stay hdb at least i have a roof will do, rather than the torture even a shortwhile staying w his mother because i wanna upgrade. Am i very stubborn or stupid? But how to stay w a MIL that stop ur husband that help u to hang ur cloths from washer machine ( no under garment ) , and he eat dinner late cause he want wait for u back from work to eat together, all not you request, just your husband wanna sayang you, she grumbled.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Not stubborn or stupid. Staying with in laws can indeed caused friction and unhappiness. Every mother will treat their children like kids even though they are already grown up. Your hub can try telling his mum firmly he wants to do all these. She will see it differently if he's the one telling her. My pils would stay with us occasionally but will stay permanently when my baby is born. My mil will always do some chores so that my hub don't have to do. My hub will tell her not to but will let her do some simple chores like wash dishes so she will feel herself useful. My pils and I are ok but there are bound to be some small unhappiness as our living habits are different. I guess both sides close one eye. ;p Most of the times I will tell them directly as we will be staying together for long term. So far they are receptive of my feedback. It really depends on your mil's character and your relationship with her. If your mil and you are ok and the stay is temporarily, can consider it. After all, she's old already. But of course if both really cannot click, then better don't.

Read more

I will stay at HDB until my EC is ready. I used to stay with my pils before my current place is ready, till now I still regret my decision. My pils are those who have very traditional thinking although they are still working. They will check my cupboard, shopping bag and bank statement to see how much I earn/spend that month without my permission. When my husband and I had a argument, she will always "join" in by telling me how good his Son is and why I am bullying him when he is at fault. Tell my husband not to do housework for me but must do for her (even when I am sick) and many more. Took my branded underwear to wear without my permission. All these not only cause lot of conflicts between me and my pils but affected a lot of my marriage with my husband, I will not stay with them at all anymore should I be able to turn back the time.

Read more
7y ago

Wah. Monster in law!

Depends how long u need to stay there for. N whether husband is on ur side or is mummy's boy. My friend did that exactly.. she stayed in mils house for a year plus til her ec is ready then she moved to the new home.

Im caught in this same situation too! My hub suggest renting a place since we both wil not wanna stay at either pil place. But renting is additional cost too. So gotta really think through 😣

Rent while waiting for new house then. Otherwise then stay put. I will never ever ever wanna stay with my PIL

VIP Member

i would say stay at the HDB till the EC is done. At least there will be lesser friction between you and your MIL

I will never want to move in with my pil in my life again