Bad mummy

Am I one if I want to be exclusively pumping? That immense pain of direct latching is slowly killing me. Saw the blisters today. Also now I have engorgement and my confinement nanny keeps feeding me milk boosters food. I’m stressed with my boobs as big as coconuts. Can I tell her to back off with the traditional old wives tales: cannot drink plain water, must be red dates tea.. Please enlighten me which old wives tales you broke. I’m painful up and down (first week pp) and I’m going nuts soon.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I followed none of the old wives’ tales, so you can say I broke all of them. Didn’t even engage a confinement nanny. Drank loads of water and that helped me a lot. If you’re already so engorged, then yes please ask her to chill on the booster foods. And please don’t feel ashamed to pump the milk out instead of direct latching if you need your nipples to heal. You’re recovering from giving birth. Pregnancy and labour were hard, so don’t be hard on yourself now. When your nipples feel better in a couple of days, you can decide again if you want to try direct latching again. Baby might not be latching properly and therefore causing all the blisters. You may consider seeing a lactation consultant if you’d like to try direct latching again. But otherwise, if you decide to exclusively pump, that’s also hard work! You’re just doing your best for your baby, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Take care dear.. and apply some lanolin ointment on the nipples. Helps a lot.

Read more
VIP Member

Exclusive pumping has its pros and cons. Direct latching is really more convenient. Try engaging a private lactation consultant to come to your place to teach you and correct your baby’s latching. Apply nipple cream (100% lanolin) or breast milk after latching. Red date tea is a milk booster and is good to replenish blood and energy. If it’s too “heaty”, you can add hot plain water to dilute it. Confinement practices are good for mummies in the longer run. It’s to help your body recover faster from the birth. Do consult your gynae about the pain. I was in pain and she prescribed normal panadol and anti-inflammatory medication which is safe for breastfeeding. Try to rest more too. It helps with the pain!

Read more

What’s wrong with exclusively pumping?? It’s still bm! Even if give formula also nothing wrong! Never a bad mum! Yeah tell your CL to back off. You’re the employer so you dictate the terms. And at most change a CL. On day one I already told my CL I will drink water on top of the red date tea that she makes. I also bathed and washed my hair w the herbal water even though she told me not to wash hair. I wore tshirt and shorts to sleep even though she said wear stockings or pants.

Read more

I think you have to review your own personal goals. If you really want to latch then I would consider a lactation consultant to seek advice about the pain. Latching is a unique bonding experience that I personally love but that was my goal and I fought hard for it. At first it was painful and baby didn’t latch, after seeing a Lactation consultant than slowly slowly work with baby. If you need support reach out to BF groups who can support your goals

Read more

I only latched my babe during the first few days. Like you, the pain of direct latching was unbearable for me... esp after giving birth (without epidural) i just dont want to experience anymore pain! My nipples were sore, cracked, bleeding. So i just expressed my milk and bottle feed my baby. There is not right or wrong way of feeding our baby, formula, breastfeed, expressed bm... as long as baby is satisfied and happy.

Read more
Super Mum

Whether it's direct latching or pumping, you're still giving your best to baby. Good on you! I guess I have broken every single old wives tale =p even quarrelled with my mom (she was helping me during confinement) for believing in thise myths. I drank plain water, washed my hair, had aircon and fan on 🤷🏻‍♀️

Read more
VIP Member

I drank plain water during confinement. I can't survive without plain water. Just make sure it's warm water