I am so frustrated of everyone giving me free advices as to how and what to do for my baby. Even if if am doing the right way someone or the other has to comment to do it their way. I am tried! What do I do?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes mommy, it IS super tiring and irritating. we all hear you. there are 2 mtds of dealing... Flight or fight. Flight as in fly / run and move away if someone gives you her 2 cents worth. Fight - argue back or say something to counter them. Depending on who is the "free adviser", I flight or fight respectively. If it is some kaypoh stranger or acquaintance, i tell them off. if it is a relative u see once in a blue moon, i just give an awkward smile n walk away. for my mil, i hate hearing her old school old style advice. dunno why if the same advice was given by her vs someone i like, i will react differently. for mil, i always rebutt her because her tone is all wrong n authoritative n demanding n nagging n irritating. whereas the same advice can come across nicely n calmly n soothingly by say an elder colleague or someone else neutral. if u choose not to walk away when someone gives u an unsolicited advice, then think of a simple straightfwd clear cut yet polite one liner sentence to shut them up. for eg, i often tell the old sch relatives "Times have change, things have evolved, parenting style n methods must keep up too. thanks for your tip anyway." then change subject or simply walk away!! all the best. you are not alone. ask ur hubby to help.u fend off unsolicited advice.

Read more

I feel that every time someone tells me something, there's always something to learn. Whether it's new knowledge, reassuring that what you are doing is right, or just plain repetition or nonsense. It's up to you to absorb what works for you. Don't think of them as criticism. It's not so frustrating this way.

Read more

U r not alone! Sometimes it gets to us! But try as u can, kw that they meant well. It gets annoying for me as well when they always sound like they know beta but tune them out if u can. Follow ur own mommy instinct. Nobody kws ur child beta than u n take wat they say wif a pinch of salt. Hang in there!

Read more

Dun be frustrated! Its good to have free advices isn't it? I appreciate & im thankful to advices as that shows that people care and I increase my knowledge. Y not? But that doesn't mean I have to follow. I can Keep as references. Who knows one day these advices become handy!

VIP Member

It's very normal to be easily affected by other people words and comment esp when we are new to this parenting world. Slowly, learn to listen and ignore. best way is to smile and walk away.

Read more

One ear in one ear. Filter the info received. I got very fed up with lots of mixed advices during my first child. In the end, i jus do what i think is right.

Hang in there mummy..like all skills, ignoring unwelcome "help" needs practices..as time goes by u'll get better at it..

Don't be affected by them. Just shut off and say thank you

Do what you think is right!

7y ago

I do, but I am unable to ignore what they say. I get affected very easily and angry