My husband and I are thinking if we should just combine our baby's baptism and first birthday celebration. Do you think that will be fine?

160 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

hi moms! the answers here are true! If you belong in a very traditional Catholic family coupled with cultural beliefs then I think baptism as soon as birth will definitely be it. Just like what happened to me. (Grandmother- serves at the Church and Mom said that we should do it right away to keep her protected from the "bad" spirits that may corrupt her, if you know what I mean😁) So what I did was this, since I gave birth on the month of November I planned my daughter's baptism on the nearest occassion that we should prepare for a feast and on my case that was January coz of our town fiesta. So if youre really aiming for being practical but you are conflicted with other stuff such as tradition then this might work for you as it worked for me.😘

Magbasa pa

Practicality wise, yes. That's what I did for my first born. Kasi we have this tradition na Ang first birthday ni baby ay dapat some celebrate Ng bongga as well as 7 yrs old. Kaya magastos Kung sa loob Ng 1 yr may 2 celebration kayong paghahandaan. Mabuti Ng pag isahin na Lang. Fun fact Lang, the reason why we celebrate 1st birthday and 7th birthday more glamorous than the others ay dahil dati daw sa ibang bansa sa sobrang hirap Ng mga Tao tumaas Ang mortality rate Ng mga Bata, most of them Hindi inaabot Ng 5 yrs old namamatay. So pag nakapag 7 sila nalagpasan nila ang milestone na Yun. I think that was in London. Sa panahon ng great depression ata.

Magbasa pa

Practically speaking, yes that's fine. It will save you a lot of money, time, effort. I've witnessed lots of friends doing the same and I felt that it's just as great! :) I actually thought of doing the same thing but my parents who are very traditional and thinks that baby would be 'too big enough' on a baptismal gown and that they prepare her on a plane trip (which they think is better, "safer" to take if baby is baptised before hand) we had her Christening roughly 3 months before her 1st birthday. Later on hubby and I realised that it could have been wiser for us to just combine it so we had more money left for savings.

Magbasa pa

Same with Franccine, my parents are very traditional so they didn't allow my first born to be baptized later than his second month. However, with my second child, they weren't able to get in the way since we left my parents' place earlier after I gave birth, and my husband and I became too busy already to arrange for the baptism when we got back to Manila. We didn't have a choice but to postpone it and just combine it with her first birthday. After the event, I didn't see any difference nor anything wrong with celebrating both occasions at the same time. Not to mention, it is indeed more practical.

Magbasa pa

I would actually go with combining the two. Practicality is still best especially because at this age, you would be spending a lot for your little one's necessities. Having to save the money that you will be spending to say your baby's baptism would really mean a lot. I know some of my friends who really tried to have the baptism and birthday celebration separately but then were very regretful afterwards because of the thought of the amount of money they could have saved up.

Magbasa pa

Our family from both sides, mine and my husband's, are strictly conservative Catholics. I thought so, too, that it will be all easier if we make the two events as one celebration but just so there wouldn't be any discussion, my husband and I just followed the tradition. Baptism on our baby's first month and later on, his first birthday celebration. I think it will entirely depend on you. Whichever suits your preference, that will be the best choice.

Magbasa pa

We have also decided to have our baby's baptism and 1st birthday at the same time. At first, my parents didn't want it but after we've said why we want it that way (practicality, less hassle, stress free etc.) they've just respected our decision. In the end, you're still the parents of the child and its your own rules for him/her.

Magbasa pa

Yes! Pero depende!☺ Baby ko eksaktong 1 month nya nagpabinyag na, kasi panay gala na at ayaw ng family both side ang ganun gala ng gala la pa binyag. Nakatipid din naman kami kasi family lang talaga ang Ninong at Ninang like uncle's & aunties then kumain lang sa restaurant after ng binyag. Ang mahalaga maging Kristyano na sya.

Magbasa pa

Most of my friends and relatives combined their baby's baptism and first birthday celebration. It saves them a lot of money and time/effort in planning and preparation. Now that I'm preparing for my daughter's first birthday, I'm thinking I should have just combined it as well and put the rest of the money in savings.

Magbasa pa

Ganyan din po balak naming magasawa.. Pero depende pa din po yan sa inyong dalawa. Consider alot of factors, like availability of relative and friends you like to be present on those dates you will want to held the baptism and/or the 1st bday, budget, baby's health, time of preparation and some others. Good luck momsh.

Magbasa pa