will u give you LO flu vaccine? if yes, how old? if no, why? tks!

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Yes I would - and I did! Don't exactly remember when, but I give my son all the possible vaccinations he could have - even the optional ones like rotavirus, pneumococcal and Hep A :) Before you decide whether to give your child a vaccine, I think it is important to understand what a vaccine is. Vaccines are weakened/inactive versions of the actual virus - meaning if you're taking a flu vaccine, it's a weakened version of the flu virus! Their main purpose is to train the body how to combat and fight against it, so that the body knows what to do if it contracts the real flu virus. They do NOT guarantee that you will never get the flu virus, but they do help lower the effects - especially for the more lethal ones! Think of it as army training, with army training - you know what to do in the event of a war. Similarly, with a vaccine - the body knows how to tackle a virus.

Read more

The flu vaccine available in Singapore helps protects against infection and illness caused by three influenza viruses. It is recommended for children between six months and five years to be vaccinated. The pro is its effectiveness in preventing children (especially those with weaker immune system or other medical conditions) from getting infected. The con is the discomfort brought about by potential side effects such as slight fever, soreness, redness or swelling at site of injection, muscle aches or headache, cough or sore throat, and vomiting. These side effects may take place within six to 12 hours after administration. Most of my friends who opted to give their children this vaccine usually do so when their little ones are going to childcare/nursery. Most are worried about the increased exposure to viruses and wanted to minimize their chances of getting infected.

Read more

This should be based on current government health guidelines - in the U.K. my child has been vaccinated for everything that he is due and no more than that. I’m not sure what it is like in other countries but majority of children here without underlying health problems or not given flu vaccinations and I certainly would not give him that if not required.

Read more
VIP Member

No. I dont. . Because lo is too young and body might not be able to take it for all vacine.. And i believe vacine can only prevent but not 100% ... So i didnt take any for my child.

Yes. The recommended is 6months onwards. It is best to give especially since getting influenza is common. In my clinic alone for 3 to 4 months we had numerous cases of influenza

PD says as young as 6 months baby, can go for flu vaccine. I will go for one after my baby recovers from her flu because the flu virus seems very strong recently...

6y ago

Yes! I’m thinking of going for flu vaccine together with the 6mo vaccinations. Flu virus going strong!

VIP Member

Yes i will give but at a later age. I want their immunity to build up own their own first before depending on such vaccines

Maybe i should consider this option. Lately my kids have been catching the flu bug too often

VIP Member

Yes, I gave it when my LO was 6 months old as she is entering infant care

I didn't give I believe the body can overcome flu virus