Should We Hire A Helper

Hi everyone, we have 2 kids below 3 years old and we both working. The kids are in childcare and infant care. Do you think hiring a helper is a good idea? What are common problem when having a helper at home? Any tips to share how to get a good helper?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

For me hiring a helper was life changing and I'd definitely recommend. Never have to worry about laundry, cooking, cleaning. The house is always spotless and meals are served, more time I can spend with my baby. I think I'm lucky to have found a good and reliable helper so no issue with her really. Just have to keep in mind that having a helper means an extra member in the house so it won't be as private as before most of the time and she's included in most family events, outings etc. I think as long as you treat them well they will be good to you too.

Read more

Hiring a helper definitely eases the burden, especially like what you mentioned both of you are working. Most important thing is whether you are able to trust your helper enough, and this might take some time for you to find out. Common problems would be fear of theft, or like not keeping a watchful eye of the child or perhaps not doing the “work” the helper is supposed to. But don’t worry so much, if you’re firm with what you expect from your helper and treat her with respect, you should be fine.

Read more

I think it depends on your reason for wanting a helper..as both kids are in childcare, it means most of the time the helper is alone at home, which I personally feels uncomfortable (it's just me..). so if I need help with the chores, I'll rather get a part time helper

5y ago

Me too.. Not so comfortable to have helper. Do you have any suggestions how to get part time helper?

VIP Member

Hiring a helper can be really good for the family. Help take care of kids, keep the house clean, cook, etc. But hubby and I took a long time to adjust to someone else living in our home. If you can get over that then you’re fine.

VIP Member

Yes .. if u both r working better to hire a helper to look after ur kids n household chores .. u may get from good maid agencies .. but careful while selecting the maid .. just look their experiences n relation with kids ..

Clash between you and helper are likely to happen.. it's good if you prefer them to be at home but being in childcare is good too.

5y ago

No tips really.. to me hiring helper is based on luck and the way we treat them. Then again not all helper is good and not all helper is bad. You can always interview them and ask questions abt their personality and such

VIP Member

personally I feel its better to have an adult around with helper... in case of any sort of problem