My helper (FDW) is pretty awesome. She's been here for less than a year, but takes good initiatives and a lot of care for my twin babies. We are blessed to have such a good helper. How should I give her a little reward? What you guys think?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I love my helper too and here are some ideas: (1) we listen to her needs and I try to chat with her daily .. Sometimes they need someone to chit chat to:: (2) cover cost of toiletries , buy books and storybooks for her (3) bring her out for a movie My helper doesn't want off days so on weekends that we don't need her, we let her watch a movie of her choice , popcorn too (4) tell her that you care for her family and will help her to Ensure their needs met too. I told her if she needs money ( when her loan was being paid) to borrow first etc, we are flexible Its been 8 months n I think open communication is key to making them happy.

Read more

How about bringing her on a shopping trip to buy some stuff to send back to her family? Rather than just giving money (though very practical), she can buy something for them (since she probably has been sending the bulk of her pay back). If not, a nice treat as a reward would be good too! It is very difficult to find a good helper and it is really sweet of you to find ways to show your appreciation!

Read more

Since they help make our family better, we give things to help their family situation also -- our pre-loved items (books, notebooks, clothes, toys) and extra grocery items whenever they ship things back home. We also give their kids hong baos for extra lunch money at school!

@jacq It goes both ways... My wife and I gave her a lot of trust to manage her time, and we communicate everyday on anything under the sky (yes, even pinoy politics!) We are blessed and lucky to have her in our family - twins are hard hard work :P

8y ago

It's really nice how you try to engage her! Good employer-employee relationship often starts from such efforts made by the bosses. Your helper is lucky to have you and your wife as her employers too! :)

Find out what she likes - food, entertainment, clothes and get it for her. A friend found out that her helper loves Tom jones and bought her tickets to go with her friend. She was thrilled.

How about giving her a raise in salary? Or more "off days"? I think after all the time spent with your babies, she deserves ample rest and time out with her family/friends!

Hi there! :-) I think giving a bonus wouldn't be a bad idea! Another possibility could be a sponsored trip to an Asian country (if it's within your budget). :-)

I gave her pay raise and even annual bonus for my helper. I also give her public holidays so that I can spend time with my daughter.

@esther, her favourite activity is reading! (so nice right...), and we make sure she gets to visit the library every other week :)