Did you give your helper specific personal hygiene instructions while handling the baby -- products to avoid because of strong chemical component, deodorant to be rid of body odour, hair always tied back? I want to give my helper a list - but not sure how she will react to it. Any suggestions?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think it's important to treat your help as part of your family for many reasons; she's caring for your family & kids, your house when you're at work and it's terribly frustrating if you have to keep changing help at the agency. Take her out for toiletry shopping so she feels that as if she's not just an outsider and will feel much comfortable. While shopping, can subtling hint/recommend at which scents you like so she'll choose them and at the same time, talk to her about you like her to dress while tending to your family. Point to note though, be sure to draw a firm line between employer-employee relationship & BFFs.

Read more

some of the things you mentioned are clearly important, such as keeping the hair tied. but instead of instructing, i would suggest speak to her normally and with reason. i also told my help about the hair tying thing and explained why it is important. about the other things, instead of asking to buy, get her a set of toiletries and tell her that you all use similar toiletries around your baby and would prefer she uses the same while she is in the house.

Read more
VIP Member

Maybe you could gift her a new set of toiletries and encourage her to use them instead of her current ones. That way, she feels happy receiving a gift and you can choose the scent you want in your house. It's a win-win situation! :) You can just tell her to tie back her hair because it's not hygenic to have hair falling all over the place, especially while handling baby.

Read more

Give your helper a new set or toiletries or take her out shopping for toiletries. It would make her day.

I would buy her new toiletries and guide her. not so much of instructing.

thanks