Dear All, can I check when will be the right age to send lo to sch? Most N1 classes starts fr 3 years old. Am I depriving my lo of learning if I only send her to sch when she turns 3? Coz I've many friends who sent their kids to childcare at 18 months. Are there any good enrichment classes that I can send her to over the weekend?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

There are many reasons that parents may send LO to childcare/school, so I think it really depends on you! There are many things you can do with your child at home, or activities that you can bring her to - most things don't really require much, but it also depends on what you want to focus her learning on :) In my case, my son is going to childcare when he's 2 years 1 week old in October - not really for the learning, but I felt the social interaction is beneficial for him. It's also a "training" for him to get used to being around other kids (he has isolated speech delay and gets frustrated around other kids because he doesn't know how to communicate with them), and to be comfortable with a scheduled routine. What I love doing is focusing on learning through play, I don't believe in flash cards, montessori and things like that - I prefer the play pretend, sensory play (the messy kind!) and motor skills learning over the academics. I love Busy Tables at Rochester Mall, that's our favourite place to be because he gets to play to his heart's content and I don't have to worry about cleaning up the mess :x We also love places like Little Planet Playard and Happy Castle because they allow him to play pretend, he loves cooking and shopping for groceries so he had a lot of fun! I guess it's ultimately up to you - what you want to focus on, what your child would prefer, what your family situation allows, what you're comfortable with etc. Don't feel stressed out because of what other parents are doing, but focus on what makes you and your child happy and content :)

Read more

I sent my boy to school only at 3 years old - at n1. I don't think I "deprived" him of learning opportunities and I see him developing well (in my opinion anyway). I personally feel that play in childhood and parent-child bonding are more important. Learn to play, play to learn =) Enrichment wise, I signed him for music at 18 months. At 2.5 years - I sent him to a 2 hour drop-off playgroup 3 times a week (to prep him for drop-off n1). My personal recommendations for 18 month would be : 1: music (kindermusik, juz music, seimpi) 2: gym (my gym) 3: playgroups (two by two, bubbles learning house) 4: play and exploration (sparkanauts) If you don't mind me sharing - todaygotclass.com is having some promos if you would like to trial. - My Gym : 4 trial classes at $120 - Sparkanauts : Christmas package of 3 weekday passes at $120 - Kindermusik : $19 for one trial class Hope this helps!

Read more
8y ago

Hi - between Kindermusik and seimpi - I would think both train in the basics of music and movement for young tots. However seimpi is likely to gear towards playing the keyboard whereas Kindermusik is all about instrumental exploration. My personal opinion.

VIP Member

there is no right or wrong age imho. I believe it's a matter of can you or can you not manage when your kid is not in school. the benefits of going to school and not going to school are pretty different, but yet, both benefits the child. for my kid, I sent him to a 5 day playgroup when he turned 18 months old, but it didn't last. 1 month later I withdraw him and homeschool him instead, 3 months later I let him go for twice a week playgroup for 6 months. I feel that, I myself teach him more and he learn better. But for my sanity, I would like to send him to school when he turn 3 LOL. I need me time! also I feel he will learn and absorb faster and better by 3 years old. so I decided to give him a stress-free childhood, just play and play and play.

Read more

It depends on individual but I will send my gal to playground around 22mo. I want her to gain more social skills and also the younger they start the easier to adapt. But at 18mo may be a bit too early in my opinion because their immunity is not strong. I think not much learning in playgroup yet , more of gaining some social skills . For enrichment classes you can try the highly reviewed Julia Gabriel. But my thinking is these classes do not actually alter our kid's IQ levels later on , it is more of nurturing the curiosity to learn and ask questions

Read more

Can i say when you are ready? Sending a child to school has so many benefits. They have peers their age to mingle with, professional educators and proper routine and education system.

i also send to expose school.. cause they will cry for mama one.. my 2nd i also sending at 18 months.. individual i would say.. is not a must but u can teach at home too..

VIP Member

I am sending my girl in at 30 months. Prior to that, i do home schooling. The reason is because I want her to socialize more with other children.

Hmm my girl goes to pre nursery at 3 yo. In the past we try to teach as much as possible. No time on weekends to send her for enrichment.

Yes you can sent your lo to school at 3 yrs old to boost his social communication and he/she can talk more

TapFluencer

dont think u r depriving ur child of learning because learning can take place anywhere đŸ’Ș