1) Is childcare harmful to children below 3? I've read that somewhere. Anyone has any children from CC who turned out well? 2) Would a more premium childcare be better or would they benefit from staying home with grandparents who may not teach them much/watch tv? somehow i feel that home is always more comfy, especially if they are so young. though there's nth much they can learn

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1) Childcare is not harmful to a child. There are pros and cons of sending a child to childcare instead of having grandparents to take care. Childcare exposes the kids to germs earlier and so they may fall sick more often but it also helps to build their immunity at an earlier age. I think kids who go to childcare are more independent and learn to do things faster due to the teachings and also peer pressure. They will also have better social skills and learn to share more. But again they may pick up certain bad habits from the other kids. There are definitely many kids who turned out well after going to childcare. That said if I have a choice to look after my kids on my own or know that my parents can take care of them and teach them, I will prefer that to sending them to childcare. 2) I think it is not about premium childcare which is better but the curriculum, the teachers and the hygiene level. Childcare usually has a learning curriculum and for certain schools there are enrichment classes which come at extra fees. But then there are those who feel kids should learn through playing. The teaching in childcare is more structured. If grandparents do not help to teach but only let them watch tv it can be a problem too because many bad habits will be cultivated. Then sending to childcare may be better. Sometimes grandparents over dote on grandkids too much and spoil them. Even simple daily tasks grandparents do for them whereas in childcare they are taught to do on their own.

Read more
VIP Member

1) Unless you're a parent who just drops off your child at 7am, picks him/her up at the latest timing possible, no interaction or showing of affection/assurance in any way - I don't see how childcare can be harmful! I've sent my son to childcare when he's 2 years old, he grew to love school within 2 weeks and already learnt so much in the short 2 months that he's been there :) The only way I see childcare being harmful is either: 1) The school does not treat children well 2) The parents do not make the effort to bond after school 2) I'd 100% go for childcare, it's actually one of the reasons why I sent my son there. I'm a freelancer and mainly work from home, so I actually am able to look after my son without sending him to childcare. However, - he has isolated speech delay, and it makes him scared when other kids talk/babble to him - he has no social interaction with children at all - grandparents are ALWAYS giving him screen time because they would rather he just stare at a screen than to "disturb" them to play (I'm talking several hours a day) - I don't have/can't afford the resources to teach him well at home myself - I also needed my free time to take care of myself :x In fact, TV/mobile screen time shouldn't even be introduced to our kids yet - but at this day and age, they are a lot more advanced and smarter than we are.

Read more
VIP Member

1) Childcare is never harmful to a child. Children learns things fast and picks up things fast. Thus sometimes our kids will pick up 'wrong' behavior or things that is shown by other kids. this can be corrected by explaining to your kids nicely on what is correct and what is wrong. 2) There are PROS and CONS when come to a childcare. In a CC, the kid are always engaged in learning things. From coloring to drawing and singing. They are exposed to different languages in school, Even for infant care, learning starts from there. It doesn't mean on books and papers. usually for kids below 30months, they will learn thru play. Unless you are able to commit to educating your child at home with their grandparents. I find that CC is actually a good place for children to learn

Read more

Hi! I think - in today's context where both parents are working (or need to work) - cc becomes more of a necessity! 80% of my friends send their kids to CC and nah, their kids aren't zombies or aliens 😹 I personally didn't send my child to a cc due to a personal choice of church kindy and I am thankful my current job allows me some flexibility. As for premium versus non premium prices - the best analogy I can think of is. Whether you are wearing a Rolex or a Swatch - both tells the time. IMHO, what matters most, are the teachers and the learning environment and of course - a trustworthy reputation. For me - I feel parenting is always about personal choices. What works for one, may not work for another. My two cents!

Read more

I don't think cc is harmful to any children. I sent my daughter to cc at the age of 18 months. My priority was to make sure she adapts well socially which she did! After a year, she has became more outgoing, daring and made new best friends. So I think it's def better to send your kids to cc than letting them stay at home. Children adapts fast and are stronger than we think, you will be surprised at what they are capable of! :)

Read more
8y ago

thank you. fingers crossed :)

Not to me. Unless you leave them there the whole day from 7am to 7pm. After that no interaction or quality time spent. Then I would say it's not healthy. Otherwise it's good for them to be there.

read somewhere that research shows that CC under 3yo leads to increased aggression..it's all over the Internet..not sure how true is it?