Hi, Can anyone share your rationale for sending yr child to CC vs church kindys or short playgroups? Do they really learn more at CC since there's afternoon programs compared to those 2 hours church kindys? read somewhere that church kindys have outdated pedagogy and the one nearby doesnt teach phonics, is that important? Wondering if kid will be spoilt if they only attend 2 hrs and stay home with grandparents for most of the day, yet on the other hand wondering if it is too stressful for 2yos to be at school for > 9 hours a day. Read somewhere abt their heightened cortisol level that's not so gd in the long run..will cause behavioural probs etc. Anyone has any insights to share will be great..thanks!:)

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Firstly, it depends on your personal parenting beliefs on whether you prefer a more play based curriculum or one which is more academic for your child. Not all CCs adopt the same teaching pedagogy and not all 2 hr kindys are the same. Best to research on the individual school rather than classifying them as one. For me, I prefer my child to be in a more play-based environment. I'm a work from home mum and I send my child to CC so that I can get work and chores done in the day. I send her in at 8.30 and pick her up at 4pm. Whether the kids will be spoilt by grandparents if they only attend 2 hr school - this really depends on the grandparents.. do they indulge in your kid all the time? or are they reasonably strict with them? If you have grandparents are a caregiver, you may consider getting them to bring your child home around 3 or 4pm so that they have more than 2hrs at school and yet not the whole day >9 hrs of being in school. Alternatively, you can consider half day cc.

Read more
8y ago

thank you!!:))