My wife is having a tough time adjusting to motherhood and is cranky most of the time. I know she is going through a lot and I want to help her. What should I do to make her happy?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

First of all, congratulations on having a newborn! And good job on understanding that your wife is going through a tough time -- motherhood is not easy and can really take a toll on women. To begin with, your wife's top priority at the moment should be the baby and her own health. She should not have to worry about laundry, messy house, unwashed dishes etc. Try to help her out doing household chores as and when possible. Second, it's important that you two spend some time together. A newborn can suck time out of your personal lives and your relation. If there is some help, e.g., grandparents or your friends, who can look after the baby for an hour or so, try spending some time out of the house -- walking or having coffee. Even if there's no one to help, you can always take your baby in a stroller. Baby would enjoy the time out and you two can talk and discuss how having a baby has changed your lives, what you both are going through and what you both look forward to. Remember, communication is the key in any relationship and small things like going out, taking a stroll together and make much difference.

Read more

Motherhood is a big change in a woman's life, physically, emotionally, socially. You are her biggest support at this moment. Be involved in your baby's activities. Don't expect your wife to do everything. Try to ignore her moodiness. She is tired, not sleeping well with aches and pains. Cook her a nice meal, give her a nice head massage. Take care of your baby for a few hours while she goes out with friends or to parlor. My own experience says that the husband is the biggest support in bringing up children, more than anybody else!

Read more

shes cranky bcoz of hormones, and post partum blues. help around the home, esp with baby tasks. don't make her feel as though only shes responsible for the baby. keep a maid who will do the general tasks around home. each time baby wakes up esp at night be the first to attend to it. it will be very taxing for u bcoz after doing all u can she will still have these depressive bouts and may say hurtful things. but u keep assuring her by ur words and actions that u r there for her

Read more

Please understand the women who just gave birth may go through post partum blues. You will encounter mood swings and you have to be ready to deal with it. Show her that you still support her despite her crankiness. Trust me, she is also having a hard time dealing with her post partum blues right now. What you can do is to extend your patience and love her the best way you can.

Read more

Be there for her physically and emotionally. Help her with house chores. Volunteer to take care of baby when you get home from work so she can rest and take some power naps. Talk to her. These are very simple things but they are the ones i appreciated most from my husband.

You can help your wife by doing the house chores, so that she doesn't need to worry about it. You can also take care of the baby for a few hours so that your wife can sleep/rest. If your wife is breastfeeding, offer her water and also bring her some lactation goodies.

Appreciate whatever she does. Be her bestfriend. And tell her you want to help her. Give her a break to pamper or kung anong gsto nyang gawin.