Whenever we visit my Husband's parents. My mom in law always took control of my son. She feed him, napping, etc. It seems like i don't have permission to touch my own son. I know she might missed her grandson but i feel powerless. What should i do?

27 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I feel you! Mother-in-laws in general are very dominant and you really need to know how to emphasize your role as a mother without offending her. It was hard for me before because I lived with my in-laws for almost a year and it felt like she controlled everything. But my mom explained to me the benefits and advantages of it. 1.) Since I am a first time mom, I have to learn all the basics from my mother-in-law and I have to accept it. And I am doing this for my baby. (by the way my mom is in Manila and we are living in Iloilo) 2. Take it as something positive. Since I am away from home, I need all the assistance I can get and good thing is that my mother-in-law is always there. She said not to rely on the Yaya too much, it's better if the baby stays with the mother-in-law while my husband and I are away. So Mommy, you are not alone. All of us experience that with our Mother-in-laws, they just want what's best for their grandchildren. You will get the hang of it. And as for us, let's show them that we can do what they can do and we can be the best moms for our kids like them :)

Read more