15 Replies

Choosing the best time to participate in group activities or put your child in care will depend on their personality as well as your family's work schedule. There is no perfect age and each child will adjust to the care environment in a different way. You know your child's personality better than anyone else – consider the following questions as you go about choosing when to put your child in care: Is your child confident with new people and quick to make new friends? Does he or she adjust well to new and/or unfamiliar environments? Is your child easily overwhelmed by noise and activity? Is your child a physically active little person who wants to take part in everything or more of an observer? When thinking about care for children under five think about group size and the level of stimulation. Ideally, the younger the child the smaller the group should be, so that noise and activity levels can be moderated. Think about the consistency of the group – if your child's care environment is comprised of carers and children who are the same week after week it will enable your child to develop lasting friendships and relationships and a comfortable foundation for personal development. Children in less stable care environments spend more time meeting new people than they do building lasting relationships. Even if you are a full time stay at home parent, it can be helpful for children to gain experience in a group care environment before they start school so they are comfortable being looked after by adults other than their parents. Remember that there is no such thing as the perfect age to put your child in care as it varies for everyone. Try and relax in to your decision and your positive approach will have a great effect on your child.

VIP Member

Depend where you stay too. Some areas is too packed with kids hence childcare is always full, start late doesn't mean they will chop a space for you also. As most people start at 18 months and upgrade from it. Another thing to concern is, when everybody is at this pace, and suddenly your kid join in, can your kid cope with the pace? Falling sick is another problem, but funny is everyday you check in, you don't really see other kids falling sick often like your child. Wondering is my child immune weak, or they fall sick tgt when my child fall sick also. So i guess it's really individual too. Good is, she is progressing well in school and there is many activities for her to do in school, she get to baked pizza, play water, sand etc. she even rmb all her classmates names. At least all this make me feel good and proud that she is doing well.

This is more of an emotional wreckage for you as a mom then for ur baby. The link we mums develop with our babies is a very strong emotional and psychological one...not only do we change emotionally as women but our entire body right down to our cells change....that's a whole new beginning for you. No one can ever take your place as a mom...not even your own mom. That's one of the reasons I didn't send my kids for even a playgroup till they were 3 years old and started school at age 5. It took me that much time to allow the distance to make me used to the fact that my kids need a broader world than just my arms...sorry I may not be a right person to answer the query

I believe emotional development comes from your kid's interaction with you, so he will be ahead emotionally if you wait till 4 years of age. But from my personal experience it all depends on your child. Some kids are very visibly shy and not willing to stay away from parents. My little one was very confidant and happy to meet others, so I chose 4 years. My advice, don't fall prey to social pressure or biased mindset of 'benefits of early adoption of childcare'. Find playgroups you can join with him and test, how does your child cope separation and do not follow the "sink or swim" approach.

I send my younger daughter to childcare when she's 18 months old as I wanted tk return back to workforce . I realized that her language & social network improved . Also , more independent , wanted to do certain things on her own , like removing / wearing shoes But you have to be prepared that they'll fall sick even more often . My baby used to fall sick every month , sometimes 3 weeks later . After 6 months , her immunity is used to childcare viruses & seldom fall sick .

It will be good when the child is around 3 onwards when the child be able to verbalise and follow instructions. but it also depends on individual kids. Going to childcare is good for them to learn independent but bear in mind there will be frequent sickness involve due to the exposure to more kids especially when they are still very young.

My friend had to send her baby to childcare at the age of two because she decided to return to work. It was tough at the beginning as her girl had some separation anxiety. Took her baby three weeks to adjust to the arrangement. She chose a childcare centre that is near her workplace so that she respond to any emergency if needed.

I sent my kid to childcare when she was just 16 months old. I took up a job and didn't have any support system. Later, at around 3, I put her in pre-nursery, and that is when she started participating in various activities. By God's grace, she adjusted well to the environment, which is why I was able to continue my work.

TapFluencer

I send my boy at 2 years old. No regret, I can see that he has learnt so much from school. As a working mum I don't have the luxury to spend so much time to teach him, so I am glad that he is learning well in school.

VIP Member

I send my daughter to childcare when she is 30 months. Minor sick like running noise and cough for sure coz many kids together easy spread virus to each other. Good is she Behavioural and good discipline.

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles