What's the perfect age gap to follow our eldest?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would say 3 years age gap is just nice. My elder one is quite independent when my second one is here. After baby has arrived, she is able to help me in taking care of the baby such as feeding milk and changing diapers. If the difference of age is too small, parents might find it overwhelmed to handle 2 babies. On the other hand, if the age gap is too wide, siblings will hardly play together as the interests will be totally different between them. http://sg.theasianparent.com/what-is-the-ideal-spacing-between-children/

Read more

I would say 3 years age gap is just nice. My elder one is quite independent when my second one is here. After baby has arrived, she is able to help me in taking care of the baby such as feeding milk and changing diapers. If the difference of age is too small, parents might find it overwhelmed to handle 2 babies. On the other hand, if the age gap is too wide, siblings will hardly play together as the interests will be totally different between them. http://sg.theasianparent.com/what-is-the-ideal-spacing-between-children/

Read more
VIP Member

There's no perfect age gap. It's all up to you. With a close age gap, they will be more like playmates whereas for siblings with a large age gap, the elder one will play the role of a mentor and guide. Doctors recommend that the mother rests her body for at least 18 months after pregnancy before trying to conceive, so if you count 9 months after that, the recommended age gap should be at least 27 months between babies.

Read more

Me and my brother has 3 years gap and I think that is kind of perfect, he is not too old or too young compared to me which allows us to understand each other really well. As kids also we used to play together, which I think if there is too much gap would not be that fun.

VIP Member

The ideal is 5 years, the most ideal is 3 years but you might be litle bit overwhelmed at the beginning because the firstborn not fully understand the meaning of siblings yet. But, 3 years gap give them opportunity to play along. Protect each other when they grow up.

I agree with answers above. If there is too big a difference (> 4yrs) the kids might not get enough time to develop that bond since the topics/interests will differ hugely. If there is too little difference (

I think an age gap around 5 is very optimal. It gives you time to raise your first child well and also gives the mum time to be ready for another baby.

VIP Member

I agree with a 5-year age gap. It gives your body and your pocket that enough time to adjust and prepare for another baby. :)

thanks

3 years is my preference