What should I do if my preschooler wouldn't stop screaming because I didn't want to buy him a toy at the mall?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Well, you're going to have to hear every screeching scream until he decides to stop. Your child is screaming because he discovered that it is an effective communication method when it comes to getting what he wants. The best thing you can do is to quickly let him understand that your preferred communication is not to have your eardrums suffer. First, don't mind him (so he understands that this "cause" has no "effect"). Second, give him tools to communicate anger/frustration with you. Maybe he can cry quietly in a corner or ramble of to let you know how displeased he is. Third, validate his feelings by saying, "I know you want the toy now, but...". Fourth, set expectations for next time. Before going to a mall, make him understand that you are there to buy him a lunch box and not a toy.

Read more
VIP Member

Once you give in, it's over. He'll then scream every single time he wants something, and you'll go broke. The reason why parents cave in frequently is because they are uncomfortable with the stares of passers-by. You have to be really thick skinned, and tell him that he can cry all he wants but he won't be getting anything because he cried for it. "What a pity. I'd wanted to buy it for you at first, but because you threw a tantrum, I've decided I won't buy it for you after all. Perhaps we could consider it the next time you behave at the mall." This will teach him that crying will not get him anything.

Read more
VIP Member

You stand your ground, mama. Don't buy him that toy because he's screaming. Just keep calm, tell him you don't appreciate his tantrum, and the two of you just walk away from the store. Explain to him he can have the toy under special circumstances: if mama can afford it, it's his birthday, he has earned it by doing chores, etc. Up to you what those circumstances are.

Read more

It is a matter of setting boundaries with him. You can talk to him before going for shopping today we are not buying any toy and we can buy only when it's your birthday. If he still throw tantrum at the mall, you should never give in. Let him throw tantrums in safe area until he settle down and explain to him the reason you are not buying.

Read more

thanks