What gifts would you prefer to receive from friends when you just gave birth? I would rather people not come with any because I got boxes of Chicken Essence, Milo, DOM which I rarely take at all and end up having to find place to keep them.

49 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would prefer cash instead of clothes, chicken essence and etc. as I feel cash is more practical where I can use to buy things that I really need after baby is here, e.g. visit PD, baby bath essentials and etc. We communicate with close family members that we prefer to receive cash. But for friends who are not so close, I will let them choose what to give as I feel they have the heart to come visit me, I am already very happy and whatever gift is fine for me. If you feel you do not need the gifts, e.g. milo and chicken essence, why not pass to those who need them, e.g. your parent-in-laws, parents and etc. For me, I do not take chicken essence in bottle too, my mother use chicken essence to double boiled with chicken and it is very nutritious during confinement.

Read more

I feel that cash will be better as well. Like what Diana said, we can use the money for what baby really needs instead of getting things that we will not use. Most of my friends and family members are lazy to get a gift so they normally will just give a red packet. Or when they ask me what I want usually I will tell them not to get anything as I have already gotten all the things needed. If you feel that it is inappropriate to ask for certain gifts, if you received what you do not use, you can pass to other people who uses them.

Read more

I agree with the other moms' suggestions of cash or gift vouchers as these would be the safest and easiest for us moms whether we just gave birth or we are hoping for gifts for our kids' birthdays. Sometimes though, it is found to be quite rude to ask this so I would suggest asking for practical gifts like diapers, formula milk (if you are not breastfeeding), baby wipes, and the like. These are items that you are bound to use in abundance so it doesn't matter how much of these you receive.

Read more

Cash or vouchers would be best. I don't think it's rude to tell them no to get items for your child. Though we Asians do not have a habit of coming up with a registry to let people pick what they are willing to purchase for the kid. It's all right to tell them that getting eg. grocery vouchers would be put to better use rather than getting chicken essence etc. just be frank with them. There's no prob with it.

Read more

Im myself in my third trimester and personally i would like to receive cash or vouchers as i dont want duplication of gifts which will go waste. Other option is put up a baby registry and ask ur friends and relatives to check it out, so you can get exactly the same brand and model of the stuff you want. I think mother care has a baby registry.

Read more

i was glad to receive gifts like clothes n toys for my baby cos we dint really buy much initially (not knowing how fast she outgrow them) & we dint get toys except for some rattles. gifts like chicken essence & milo was nice as i do take them. vouchers eg kiddy palace was nice since we can buy things for baby.

Read more

I also feel that cash is more practical. Usually friends would ask what you would like to get since they are unsure what you already have. Otherwise, you can also draw up a list of items that you will need and get them to choose from the list. It is much better than having the gifts go to waste.

Normally will five ang pao cos it's only realistic. They can buy what they want for their baby. U buy, rhey may not like it and it will be wasted. Unless very close friends, you can ask what they want too. I ever give diapers in the bigger size for them to stock up.

Read more

I usually give my friends vouchers of sorts -- spa, massage, even Watsons or NTUC vouchers --- so they can spend on necessities or to pamper themselves. Most of them are too shy to accept money because we are the same age so I will address the money to the baby instead.

Typical answers I prefer cash or vouchers because as a mummy there are really neverending stuffs to buy for babies instead of friends buying specific items for me I would rather choose my own brand and type of items to buy