At what age do you start adding soy sauce, salt, sugar etc into your kids food?

41 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My son is 27 months old and we haven't added them into his food yet, but he does unavoidably have them in outside food sometimes! I personally feel that they have the next 70-80++ years of their lives to enjoy whatever flavourful food they want, it's more of my responsibility as his mother to try to give him a good and healthy foundation to start :) I do know of parents who have given biscuits, cookies and ice cream etc on a regular basis way before us (my son only had a one-off bite/lick), and there's no right or wrong in this - it all boils down to your comfort level!

Read more

Yikes as much as possible do not introuduce. There is no need to tach our kids to take such stuff. It is unavoidable and eventually they will be consuming it. Afterall they will go to school and have own time as they grow older. As much as you can and for as long as possible, ditch it. :)

VIP Member

1yo. we started giving outside food and cook w less salt and soya sauce. i have been using seseme oil b4 soya sauce, so after adding soya sauce n salt, everything taste better. and my son advanced from eating 5 spoons to half a small bowl. 😂

VIP Member

My elder son we started out late. But i allowed him to eat whatever we eat outside at arnd 18months old. For my second son we want it easier, 1yo i already gave him outside food. He also shares same homecooked food as his elder brother

Read more
VIP Member

1yr plus with very small amount or none. Usually homecooked, I will not add much seasoning . I will try to use natural ingredients as much as possible. Etc wolfberry, corn.. All these can add sweetness.. If eat outside, i close eyes 😂

Will start only around 2 years. I only use spices right now. Zero salt or soya sauce. Outside food will always be rinsed with water before serving.

After 2 year it is safe to use salt. but I do use salt to wash the meat though. I used a really tiny bit of soya sauce when she turned 18th mths.

VIP Member

2 years old! when he started childcare, their food confirm have those stuff, and even fed him chocolate bread 😏 so I just let loose 😂

VIP Member

after he turned 1. using low sodium soy, Himalayan pink salt, and depends on what I am.cooking.

VIP Member

After 1 - very minimal food flavouring only Before that, no added flavourings