At what age does a child get ready for a smart phone?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I believe its totally each parent's prerogative when to give the child a Smartphone. In my opinion and experience, the child can be given a Smartphone around 11-12 years of age with few strict instructions. I gave my son his Smartphone when he was 11 years old. I had strictly told him that I will have the access to his phone, that he will behave responsibly in using his phone. Parents can install softwares so that the child doesn't view inappropriate content.

Read more

Once you feeling they are mature enough and they understand the dangers that could arise and how to avoid such situations. I would like to be assured by my child that they would approach me if things went wrong or they needed support that way I know they trust me enough to keep me involved with things that are going on in their lives. I would want them to know that having a phone is ok but breaking boundaries and misusing is not ok!

Read more

i don't think a child is ready for a smartphone, but then, it depends on the parents and what their views are. i would not give a smartphone to my children before the teen years, and even then, only when i am absolutely sure they are aware of the security issues that can arise (such as inappropriate chatting) and can handle it responsibly.

Read more
TapFluencer

I think 3-4 years old. She/He can call for their parents in urgent case

I think it's the kids who choose when they want to use :-))

4y ago

I disagree, but everyone is different so I don't judge.

VIP Member

After 12

TapFluencer

16 old

VIP Member

12 yo

TapFluencer

12yrs

3yrs