Wanna ask : my Boy is 22 months old.. still can't speak in full sentences .. only know the following : Clock , banana (nana), boat, milk , Amen (say amen b4 food) , nose, head, eyes, mouth, Brother (in Chinese) , Mother (in chinese), daddy , watch , egg, I want , I know , letter A, B, C , I don't want . , meow, dog That is about all he can say .. I'm worried cos some of my frens with 2015 baby already speaking quite well.. is there a need for me to send him for speech therapy ?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My firstborn only starts talking at the age of 3. Before that, she will only give me a one-word answer but she can totally understand what I am talking or requesting her to do. It got me so worry when all the kids in her school are talking non-stop in full statement. Like you, I am so worried and start calling all the speech therapy school but having a mixed response or answer from them. After talking to her teachers as well as doing some online assessment on our own, we decided to wait for a while longer before sending her to actual assessment as it is quite costly. All out of sudden, she told me this one day: "Mama, give me (the) battery." in one full statement and after that, all her conversation is in full statement. From there then I realised she is a perfectionist like me and only wants to talk when she can speak perfectly. Now, she is my miss chatterbox aka radio with a spoilt STOP button who talk non-stop all day long. haha So be careful with what you ask for. haa haa.

Read more
VIP Member

My son is 25 months old and he can't say anything of those things you listed either - then again, he has isolated speech delay. Anyways, it shouldn't be anything to worry about because it seems like your child is hitting the milestone fine - don't feel stressed by what other children are doing because every child is different (even if it's from the same parents) so they all grow and develop differently!

Read more
VIP Member

Every child is different, don't compare. Can your kid understand you when you ask him to do things? if so, I won't be too worried. after all, he is only almost 2. my boy started talking alot more after he turn 2 and in sentences around 26 months onwards. keep speaking to your child like he is an adult and don't baby talk, read together, let him hold the book and guide him. it helps.

Read more
TapFluencer

Nothing to worry about and don't compare.. Every child develop at different rate. Once they started to pick up they will learn very fast. Just continue to talk to him more, one day he will just surprise you 😊

VIP Member

Every child has different learning stage. My LO started one syllable words at 24months and at 28months, she can now sing full birthday song though some words are still not clear. Just monitor first!

Firstly don't compare. Each child is different. My boy can't say any of the words you listed.

7y ago

is your boy also 22 months?

It's normal.please don't worry. Every child grows at a different pace.