Hi , my Boy is 21 months old but he is still not speaking in sentences or has a wide vocabulary. I read he should acquire more than 50 vocabulary but his is still very limited. Words that he can say: Ma Ma , dad, ge ge (Brother in mandarin) , clock , eggs , bus, ball, meow, nose, eyes, what's this , I don't want , no, Yi Yi (aunt), po po (grandma ) .. I think that's about it .. should I be worried ? My friend's kids are all speaking with much more vocabulary than my boy so I'm very worried. My elder son was already speaking in sentences when he was 18 months old .. I don't wanna compare but can't help but get worried:(

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My li'l domina is turning 2 years old this January and you bet, your baby boy has wider vocabulary than hers. Am I worried? Not really. What I think is, she's just confused what language to use 'coz I'm talking with her in English, my parents talked to her in Iluko and her daddy talked to her in Filipino. I felt bad for my li'l domina because she might be having hard time to figure out what language she should use. And I don't want to add pressure on her by comparing her with other toddlers. Just talk to him daily. Soon, he'll be able to catch up. Trust me. 😊

Read more

Some kids will tend to be slower in terms of speech. But 21 months old Is still early. Don't worry and don't rush. Be more vocal to your kids. Explain more of the things you are doing in your daily life for example ' Mummy is going to take something from the cabinet. " Explain and say. yes it's 'meaningless' to say but kids are actually listening.

Read more
VIP Member

Don;t worry mummy. Yes when we have a elder kid, we will can't help but to compare on their development. speak more to your little one. Use proper words and vocab and speak to him even if he replies you in a broken words, answer him properly. so he will be able to catch more words slowly.

Nothing to worried as long as the kids is still growing healthy, live happily that’s the main reason. Soon the kids will know when is the time “Speech” the right time and do the right things. Take note: if your kids too talkative then, you don’t complain or scold

My boy is 20 months old and he still cant speak such words. He can only say Mama, Mommy, dede (milk) Bye, Hello, Baby. Thats All. I have read that he can name things, but he still cant. Should I be worried?

VIP Member

My son is 26 months old and can't say any of the words you listed - he has isolated speech delay so I'd say that your LO is doing really well!

TapFluencer

almost brought my younger to the speech therapist but finally started talking after 3yo & so talkative now 😅

1y ago

Same, im worried to as my 2nd LO is 21mths still not talking, only randomly speaks papa and mama. Any advice?

mine only starting to speak more words recently at 25 months... n now kept on talking even though some words not clear...

VIP Member

My girl also, I guess it's normal. Doctor told me to keep talking to my daughter eventhou she doesn't reply 😅

VIP Member

Do you read to him regularly n talk to him properly?every child progresses at their own pace don't compare