9 Replies

It is absolutely normal! Children are not suppose to sit still and urs is only 16 months!! Anything and everything is interesting to them so don't force to confine them to a book or 2 in the library. Have u been reading to him on a somewhat regular basis? U might wana consider building the habit at home and then using the library to expand that experience. They are curious about everything and have v short attention span - mainly for u to just show and tell him a thing or 2. U can refer to this for reading expectations https://www.google.com.sg/amp/amp.parents.com/baby/development/intellectual/age-by-age-guide-to-reading-to-your-baby/

VIP Member

For young children, they have very short attention span - I'm not even talking about 15 minutes but probably half of that! You can get books with only one word or single sentences per page, but they're more intrigued by the pictures and colours in the book more than the stories and words at this point. They aren't ready to sit down and listen to stories until probably 2-3 years old, and even then it probably won't be a full story either! What you can do is to pick books with pictures and drawings, and fewer words so he can be excited about the cars, animals, things inside the book rather than focusing on stories :)

VIP Member

It's ok. My girl is also the same age and she doesn't sit still too. Always climbing all over me when I read to her every night. But that's ok as I want to cultivate a habit of reading so every night is the same thing. Over time, she even developed preference for one book so that is now her favourite book. Like what mummy Jorelle said, point out things on the cover or ask your LO to point out things (e.g Where's the bird?) Try to find simple books with flaps that will grab your LO's attention. I borrowed such a book and my girl loved it. There are a few titles in this series.

😂 yes dear. Tiz is perfectly normal. I feel your anxiety. First time mums and even mums with many kids, have different expectations towards their children. It is very gd tat u hv started to expose him to reading and bringing him to the library. Let him get used to the environment and he will learn to sit still and read books when he sees others doing it. He is still young though. Give him time.😊

yes that's normal. in fact, I would say that it's a positive sign when he is able to flip a few pages. at this age all you want is a reaction. you can keep repeating it over an extended period of time. in time she will learn what is expected from her when she goes to the library.

VIP Member

Yes it's normal as their attention span are pretty short. Let them wander around, as they wander, explain to the things around them, show them different books or just talk about the cover page!

Asking and expecting a 16month old to sit down and browse books quitely, is an ideal dream. It's not possible to even get a 16 month old to sit down for 5 minutes needless to say browse books.

sit down and read books? You must be joking. My kid just roam around and try to interact with everyone -.-

Haha yes perfectly normal!!!!

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles