My toddler likes to pretend to kiss me and instead bites my cheeks. When I yelp she laughs. It's actually not funny. And when I shout at her she laughs more. This has happened many times. She knows it hurts me. She does not do this to anyone else. Does my baby hate me, so chooses to hurt me? Or am I reading too much into this? Also can someone tell me how to make her stop.

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Children don't know how to hate or fear, these are what we learn from life as we grow up. Your child definitely doesn't hate you, but yes, your reaction was the thing that was funny to her! Most parents think that exaggerating their reactions would help get the message across better, that's why they yell/scold their kids when they're throwing tantrums - but it doesn't work that way. They read into your feeling too, and they can sense nervousness, fear or joy. When you yelp, it signals your daughter that it's an exaggerative expression - which we typically do when we try to entertain our kids, so your child thinks you're playing with her and continues to do it even more! Like what the other mummies have shared, you should be firm and say no to her when she does it - and remember to stay calm without smiling or laughing. If she tries to do it again then just repeat it, and put her down if you have to. Kids these days are smart, so they know if you talk to them about things - including their actions which may hurt others!

Read more

ouch, that must have hurt a lot :( But hey, they are still young and innocent. Believed she is laughing at your reaction... perhaps you can teach her how to lessen the pain by blowing or lightly patting the 'injured' cheek after the bite? Perhaps to divert her attention, you can show her some bigger reactions from you with less painful results? Some clapping games, light pats on the mat etc to trigger sound effects and laughter from you? Or introduce her to some musical instruments?

Read more
VIP Member

I will move away and say no to her firmly. There was this phase when she likes to bite my arm/thigh. I stopped her and told her she can't do that. On one instance, she cried (maybe because she was shocked at my tone?) but it has stopped since. Maybe took abt 3 to 5 times of firm warnings in total..?

Read more

The next time this happens, be firm and say no and move away. Make no exceptions if this happens again and again. Because once you loosen up, she won’t think you are being serious. But don’t read too much in your toddler actions, she probably adores you:)

Babies are innocent . They see u hoo haa the more they laugh . My first child teething time bite me until orh cheh got teeth mark still so happy . I went to reverse bite her gently show her how it feels . Lol !

It's normal. My baby pretends to kiss and slap on my face and laugh out. Though it pains I just hug her. This phase will pass away nothing intentional . Later you will miss all these moments.

It is quite normal and it is just that kids don't understand tear or hate or those emotions. So it is always better to show make them understand the difference and eventually they will understand it :)

VIP Member

Babies love reaction. Be firm and say no. Either it's a painful reaction or a funny reaction. Kids love to see it. Be firm. I would actually move away from my LO when he is trying to 'kiss me'

Read more

my lo is the same, she would hit me in the face and laugh about it despite me saying ouch and no. but seeing her innocence i cant stay mad hahaha i think thats the way they play

Firstly, you gave her a reaction be it yelp or shout. Toddler loves reaction both good and bad. The next time she does it, be firm and say no.