Sleeping Tips

Hi all, any tips on how to make your baby sleep better? I have problems both 1)making her sleep and 2) staying asleep for long. Just to share, I have to rock/cradle her to sleep every night for quite a while, and not always successful as she would sometimes wake up after a while. Baby is 10weeks old.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

At 10 weeks, I recommend: 1) A zip swaddle. Baby feels more secure and sleeps longer, plus it’s harder to break out of. Putting on the swaddle before naps/bedtime also acts as a sleep cue 2) Stop the rocking/cradling. It was the best decision my husband and I made at around the baby age. Haha. We learnt the patting method + swaddling. Put swaddles baby down, turn to the side and cup your hand, then pat baby firmly (about once every 1-2 seconds, cannot be too gentle). That calms baby down and also makes baby fall asleep. It worked well till about 4.5 months, by which time we had trained her to self soothe and sleep longer on her own. 3) Start training your LO to self soothe. Don’t be in the same room your baby sleeps in. Use a baby monitor to watch your baby during naps. When baby wakes up, don’t go to baby till baby calls. If baby’s calm and looking around the cot, let it be. At this age, waiting 3-5 minutes even if baby is crying is alright. Gradually, you’ll see baby being contented with staying in the cot (and not crying) for longer durations. 4) Once baby’s 4-6 months old, you and your spouse need to decide what form of sleep training you’d like.. choose whatever works for you physically and emotionally (yes it can be very emotional, especially if you do the cry it out method). But from my two kids who did sleep training at 18 months and 4.5 months respectively, there are no negative emotional consequences to the children, and they really sleep much better at night after it, making the naps also better and more consistent. My first child (now almost 4) doesn’t even remember that she did sleep training last time, and she’s been sleeping in her own room, falling asleep by herself each time. Keeps everyone in the house sane. Haha. Hope your baby sleeps better soon:)

Read more