Sleeping pattern

Hi. My baby is 2 weeks old. She can't sleep at night. We try to tug her in around 9pm after her feeding. But she ll cry and open her eyes big2. Around 12.30am or more then she can fall asleep. Any tips on how to calm her down and make sure she can sleep earlier? Thank you.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's natural for newborns to have irregular sleeping patterns in the first few weeks of life. Here are some tips to help calm your baby and improve her sleeping habits: 1. Create a calming bedtime routine: Establish a soothing routine before bedtime to help signal to your baby that it's time to sleep. This could include a warm bath, gentle massage, or lullabies. 2. Check for hunger or discomfort: Make sure your baby isn't hungry or uncomfortable before trying to put her to sleep. Consider feeding her right before bedtime to ensure she's full and comfortable. 3. Create a peaceful sleep environment: Ensure the room where your baby sleeps is quiet, dark, and at a comfortable temperature. White noise machines or gentle music can also help create a soothing atmosphere. 4. Swaddle your baby: Swaddling can help mimic the feeling of being in the womb and provide comfort to your baby. Make sure to swaddle her properly to ensure she feels secure. 5. Try gentle rocking or movement: Some babies find gentle rocking or movement calming. You can try rocking your baby in your arms, using a baby swing, or taking her for a calming walk in a stroller. 6. Use a pacifier: Some babies find sucking on a pacifier soothing and it can help them relax and fall asleep. 7. Stay consistent: Consistency is key when establishing good sleep habits. Try to stick to a regular bedtime routine and create a predictable environment for your baby. Remember, every baby is different, so it may take some trial and error to find what works best for your little one. Hang in there, and remember to take care of yourself too during this challenging time. If you have any concerns about your baby's sleep patterns, don't hesitate to consult with your pediatrician for additional guidance and support. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Hi mummy! I asked a similar question in another topic as my baby is also around 2-3 weeks old and awake in evenings. Some of the advice I got were: 1. Might be "witching hour" - where babies sometimes fuss in the evening to night before they sleep, for seemingly no reason and cannot be comforted 2. Might be overstimulation in the day that is causing baby to be unable to sleep in evening 3. If baby is frequently feeding during this period of time, it might be cluster feeding to prepare for longer sleep in the night 4. Might be gas, so can try burping more or doing baby massage 5. Some parents have also shared that it is just a phase with their babies and it went away in a few days to weeks. Personally, my baby isn't crying badly - just slightly more fussy and feeding very frequently, so we think he might be going through a growth spurt! Hope this helps 🥹

Read more

Hello mummy at this point baby still has not learnt how to differentiate night from day, perhaps to help her with this you can play with her more in the daytime so that she knows that light equals to being awake and at night before she sleeps maybe try to dim the lights down and play some white noise to help calm her down and lull her to sleep. Hopefully these tips help.

Read more