putting tired baby to sleep

There are times where it is easy to put my 2 month old boy to sleep, when I have caught the "right timing". There are times where we miss that window (e.g sleepy during feeding but got awaken from burping. Or got woken up in the middle of the nap or sleep). He is clearly wanting to continue to sleep yet even after I carry him in my arms, walk around the house, rock him and "shhh" him, he is still refusing to sleep. The alternate is a cranky, fussy baby. I'm wondering what do other mummies do under this circumstances to put your LO to sleep?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

My LO was always very alert after burping too, so I personally didn’t burp her if she fell asleep, but would watch her to make sure she didn’t choke in her sleep. At this age, you’re right! The right timing is super important to let baby sleep, otherwise they become overtired and can stay awake and cranky for hours. Swaddling and firm patting can help to calm baby and put them to sleep. Carrying and shushing didn’t work for mine too. Had to wrap her tight, put her down on her side to pat (I learnt from baby care trainers)

Read more

I swaddle my LO before her last night feed (which is slightly more than her day feed). So that I can put her to bed after feed and not risk waking her up when swaddle. If she wakes up, which is usually few hours later, and still not in time for middle of night feed, we will give pacifier n pat her that usually works.

Read more
VIP Member

Swaddle, pacifier and swing in arm or swing cot. Your body and arm must relax too. They can sense our tense

Super Mum

Play music or white noise . Use Spotify