Baby refuse to nap in cot

My 1 month old baby slept well at night. I can easily put him to sleep. But during the day, is very hard to get him to nap. He will fall asleep in my arms and i will put him in the cot. But he will wake up shortly (10mins) and cry. I will have to carry him again and this keeps on repeating. I notice he loves to be carried to sleep. I am really tired and worry as i know sleep is important for newborns. Any mummies face this issues and any tips to get him to nap?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy! I'm facing the same issue but things are getting better for me so here's what I did :) 1. Catch early sleep cues - once baby displays early sleep cues (slower and longer blinking, red eyebrows), I hold baby and start to walk around 2. Cot-side soothing - once he is sufficiently sleepy where eyes are mostly closed, I lower him down into the cot. I make sure to lower my entire upper body together with him so he doesn't feel a drop. - I remove the hand on his butt, but continue to support his neck for a while longer while still gently rocking / shushing / patting - slowly remove my hand from his neck and continue soothing until he sleeps 3. No cry it out - I don't believe in the cry it out method so I'm 100% responsive, I continue with cot-side soothing if he is just whining but pick him up if he starts crying. First few times we had to redo the entire process multiple times and it took over 30-40 minutes. It's gradually getting better and on some days he can even just self soothe to sleep once I put him in the cot. :) on some days we also carry him in the baby carrier if he is displaying extra fussiness Either way, babies can't be over-reliant at least in their first 6 months and 3-4 months is a good timeline for babies to start forming sleep habits. Searching for gentle sleep training tips on TikTok might help :) Don't worry too much for now and all the best!!

Read more

me.. exactly same issue! have to carry to nap every single time. once put down on bed, wakes up in less than 15 mins. then have to carry again and repeat everything. recently I gave up and tried pacifier.. I did not carry baby to sleep. I directly put on bed with pacifier and tap to sleep. baby can nap for an hour plus!

Read more

I used the joie baby rocker chair and my baby seems to be able to sleep much longer in it, shortest 1 hour and longest 4 hours, but I hear it is also not recommended that baby sleeps too long in it maybe because of the spine… For me, I am just all about what helps my baby takes longer naps in the day

Read more
Post reply image

My baby slept better in a swaddle, white noise. Had to carry at that time until sleep then put in the bassinet

TapFluencer

i gave up & co-slept.. cot like white elephant 😅