There is an increase in the display of Homosexuality in movies today. My 10 year old finds it very odd and asks questions. How do I explain the concept to him?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my 10 year old already has asked and i have told her just the way it is - that it is another form of love, like the one that is shown as a boy or girl, the same can also be with a boy and boy or a girl and girl. all love is same, and there is really no difference in the emotion depending on what gender you choose. i think you should tell your child about it, kids are way mature and smart and can understand things when told in clear and simple terms. unless you have a problem with homosexuality of course. if you are fine about it, do teach your child about it too... it will only help spread the word of love in a beautiful and clean way :)

Read more

10 year is a very mature age to understand about love and attachment. i would suggest that if your child is already asking questions, use this to help him learn about the different forms and expressions of love. just as a man and woman fall in love, he will understand the boyfriend girlfriend concept at his age, similarly, a boy can also be in love with a boy, or a girl can be in love with a girl. love is a beautiful emotion, one that you share with a most special friend, so tell him that it is fine if he sees same gender people in love. it is just another way of strengthening friendship and relationships.

Read more

please explain the concept as it is. there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, it is as normal as being straight. so tell your child that just as there are men who love women and women who love men, there are women who love women and men who love men. love is a beautiful emotion and children can easily be taught to behave normally to such expression of love, so just be clear about it.

Read more

the only way to explain is to be normal about it and say it for what it is. homosexuality is as common and natural as sexuality involving opposite genders. tell your child that just like boyfriend girlfriends, people also fall in love as man and man, or girl and girl. your child may have more questions after you explain this, but handle it well and don't try to brush it off.

Read more

Tell him the truth. A 10-year-old is much smarter in today's times. Tell him that love can be between any two people irrespective of the gender. It is not funny, it is not abnormal. Our society still has difficulty accepting it but its very normal.