Should I breastfeed my baby to sleep? She is now 1 year 3 months. Am I getting my baby into bad habit? She will still wake up few times at night. Will it affect her sleeping quality? If yes what should I do?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

the only problem this can create is that your baby will get really used to it and may have problems falling off to sleep without latching on. of course it is a personal choice and this does not mean you are putting your baby into any 'bad' habit. i also did it with my elder one, as she used to be really comfortable with it and honestly, i was too tired to do otherwise. i don't think it affects sleep quality though.

Read more
7y ago

so are you stop to do so for your 2nd one? it is really tiring.. and i do not know how to stop it...

VIP Member

Yes feed to sleep will only make your baby think that she needs to be fed in order to sleep. This is what I call a sleep prop. If your baby relies on external props such as breastfeeding, pacifier or being rocked to sleep then your baby is relying on you to help her fall asleep. Teach her the art of self settling in order for her to sleep through the night.

Read more
7y ago

Hi SG Supernanny, may I know what's Lady shuffle method or leave and check method? Any baby sleep tranning book/ website would you highly recommend? Thanks in advance.

Ideally we shouldn't let baby fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth or while latching. It will speed up the process of decaying teeth when we let milk stay inside their mouths during sleeping . How about feed her before bedtime ? Have an interval after latching her whereby you wind her down with a story and clean her mouth before she sleeps?

Read more

I guess it's very much a personal preference. I have been breastfeeding baby to sleep since day 1. And he dream feeds through the night. So he drinks lesser in the day. But I'm. Totally fine with that. He wakes up a few times, I'll latch and he goes back to sleep. I latch him side ways, in that way I can sleep too.

Read more

She will associate milk with slp .. without milk can't slp. N if she keeps waking up definitely it will affect her slp quality