Recently, I had a subtle displeasing incident where I was planning to make a trip to my brother's home and his wife did not respond well because she did not want me at their place because their 8 year old son's exams were going on. My husband, my daughter and I were planning to go for just one day, and that too on a weekend. I felt very bad when she did not showed any welcoming attitude which is why I cancelled my programme and my husband went as he had some official work. I felt hurt and I do not feel like talking on regular basis to her like I used to do. I am feeling I should maintain distance as she changed her attitude towards me for just a tiny thing. Do you think I am right?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

tell me something...if you consider your brother and his wife dear and their home as your own family, why do you need her to specially welcome you? in fact, you should yourself have suggested going after the exams were over. even your SIL could see this as disturbance where you have no regard for her son's studies. also, even if you go there, why does she have to specially welcome you all? if it is also your house, you could offer to help her out and rest for a while and not be formal at all. it is these petty thoughts that create so much unnecessary issues in families.

Read more