Am I just being unreasonable for feeling this way

My sis in law went out with me & my hubby and said she wanted to bring my 14 month son back for sleepover at her grandma's hse. I felt offended that she didn't even ask for my permission beforehand. She only told us she wanna bring my son with her at the very last min while she was booking her taxi. My husband allowed her to bring but I didn't even had the chance to say yes or no. My husband didn't even ask me if I'm ok with it. Next day before she sends my son to my house, she went to shave my son's hair without informing me or my husband beforehand. I was really mad at her and she just smiled(as if it was nothing) and said that she wanted to surprise us with it. My hubby & I were actually planning to trim our son's hair in the next few days but my Sis-I-L just decided to shave all of my son's hair. She said that "Aiyo I pity my nephew. Better for him so he not stuffy with long hair". I felt like wow what a shitty reason. My husband was ok with it eventually. I feel so offended that my hubby n his sis don't even let me make decisions in things relating to my son.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Wow I'd be fuming mad if I were you esp abt the shaving hair part! While my boy isnt so close with my SIL, he is very close to my own sis and will often stay over at her place. That part I wouldn't mind if she wants to take him any time since he even has his clothes, diapers etc at her place. But even how close she is to my boy (she's practically like my boy's 2nd mom), she still consults me first when it comes to buying his clothes, toys etc, even though I'm not so particular abt those things. But isn't it common sense that shaving hair is just so extreme that u definitely need the parent's permission?!! You shld talk to ur hubby abt telling ur SIL tt there's still a certain boundary and limit. Even if my own sister were to do that, I would definitely be super mad at her.

Read more

Your SIL went overboard. It is not in her place to trim your child's hair, nor to take him away without your agreement. You're the mother, and I daresay, have even more authority over the care of the child than even your husband. Suggest you have a good and serious talk with your husband on her overstepping her boundaries, and see if your husband agrees with you, and whether to talk to her. The talking part must be left to your husband though..as the in law, it is usually a bit more sensitive. If she doesn't change after talking, then look at reducing contact with her. Now is cut hair, next time you dunno what else she'll do. You're protecting your child, heck if she's offended.

Read more

Absolutely not wtf, I was reading and fuming. You don’t just cut people’s hair or just decide to just bring people’s child away, period. It’s not about whether it’s family or just hair only will grow, it’s about respecting that this is other people’s child regardless how close or senior you are. If someone do that to my daughter and tell me surprise, I will surprise them by asking to FO because that’s the last time I will be seeing them. When it comes to my kid (like overnight for eg, not like what to eat), I would prefer that my husband discuss with me first and not just consent because that’s his sister.

Read more

U have to fight! If anything happen to your baby, her regrets n guilt will not be comparable to you. Talk to your husband first though . I suppose it ll be better if he knows the boundary n the one to control her sis! Best is show him every reply in this forum for him to realize, what a big mistake he made..

Read more

Please voice out more, ultimately you are the MOTHER. She is just the aunt, she have no power to control. And for your husband, do have a talk with him and express out whatever that's in your mind. Keep in mind to be calm tho as men are quite clueless.

wow... just reading the post have me saying the F word repeatedly in my mind. seriously F your sister in law, and it's time to speak up sis... you marry your husband and he should have your back , communicate this through so he is aligned with you.

Damn. Im so fuming mad reading this. I would just straight up tell her im not happy with this and never will let my baby stayover anymore. Some more 14 months still young, us parents still want to be the first to do this and that

This is downright disrespectful and just plain rude. You need to put your foot down and let her know that it wasn’t okay for her to do that, and it won’t be unless she gets permission from you to do so.

wtf is wrong with your SIL. and your husband is not any better. if my husband were so dense to come home without my son I would get him to bring him back even if it's in the middle of the night.

Your baby, your rule. Stand firm and never get pushed around. But make sure you’re a very hands on mom and don’t rely on your sil in child care.