Rant post: I read a post on fdw, on their views of how employers treat them. I sympathise with some of them, especially those who didnt get enough to eat or only allowed to use phone on their off days. But I've to say, some abused the freedom their employers gave them. Ive given my helper the freedom to use her phone whenever as long as her work is done. But strictly no phone while taking care of LO when LO is awake. She likes to "abuse" it when im not watching. I corrected her nicely and let her know if there is any emergency she needs to use while watching LO, jus let me know. I'll let her deal wif wat she has to do, no problem. But she likes to "test system". I would understand y some employers wouldn't allow their help to use phone now. Ive given my helper all e freedom to eat watever she wans at home. We eat e same when we go out. Ive never made her do any chores on her off days and sometimes gave her pay earlier so that she have money to go out. But she chose to lie to me about laundry days. We do our laundry on alternate days n happened tat day fell on her off day. She tot i would ask her to do it b4 she leaves but it has been said to her since day 1 tat she didnt have to do anyting. I will do it if it falls on her off day. She likes to watch tv (ive never said no to wat she wans to watch or when she wans to watch as long as she does her chores properly) n do the dishes at e same time. I didnt mind bcoz i dun see it as a problem. But it became a problem when she hastily wash them just so she could catch e korean drama. Most of the time, e dishes r not properly cleaned. My helper wakes up at 630am, finish most of her chores by 1030am. And from then on it is only very minor chores like washing dishes when baby eats. Her Job is only to vacuum, mop on alternate days, quick wipe furniture (3 room flat), n cook baby porridge for lunch, laundry with washing machine. Dats all. And occasionally help me watch LO if i go to the loo. There is no cooking or ironing. She gets an hr rest at abt 4pm. In fact by then, she is almost "knock off from work". I really dun see it as very tedious. And lots more. I've said my piece and told her nicely but never took any "freedom" away from her. There were changes made for awhile and then fell back to square 1. So isit my fault tat i m too lenient? So please if there r any helpers reading dis, it isnt all e time wher e employers r overly strict wif u. You may have done something that warrant their reaction too. Xoxo

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As the above mummies, set the boundaries. Sadly, that's how we treat our helpers. As an employee, I sometimes get complacent. Would I like my boss telling me off? Probably not... because I probably don't know where they are coming from.... So I would tell them nicely a few more times. We are all different, some may need more encouragement than the others. I hope it all works out for you soon.

Read more
VIP Member

I was once an employer too. We have to be strict on helpers. being too lenient on them they just takes the advantages on us

I wouldn't say to be strict but boundaries must be drawn and laid in the open.

You don't need to be strict or too lenient. Be firm. Tgats the way to go