Hospital leave & Maternity Leave

Is it possible to request the HL from doctor before the EDD? I am planning to use my unpaid leave + HL + ML + AL before EDD. Belly is getting bigger, feel vry tired to travel back n forth (1hrs+) to office everyday plus my boss keep increasing my workloads eventhough im pregnant, i feel mentally n physically stress at work everyday! I hope i can rest at home before ML/EDD. ???

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It depends on your gynae if they can give you HL. For me since there's no complications she only gives MC which is diff than my colleagues who got pregnant before. All of them got around 1to2 weeks HL but not me. But since I cant perform at work, I use whatever MCs I can and AL. Followed by MTL which was taken 2 weeks earlier than my EDD. No other choice.

Read more
VIP Member

Can try to negotiate w doctor. The most take some mc. Using ML and AL before EDD will mean you got to go back work earlier though. Think twice. Cuz leaving baby and going work after that and pumping at work could be tougher emotionally than going to work with a big belly.

I had a very bad upper back pain and i told the doctor that i couldn’t afford MC, im only able to take HL. She gave 2 weeks HL for me. Im 32 weeks now. Depending on your doctor. As for me, im under subsidies in KKH so different doctor will give you different advice

I used my all my MC and AL and took 3 weeks of UPL since week 36. Gave me about month or so to rest at home. I didnt touch my ML cus dint want to waste it and only started it once i delivered, which was just nice at week 40.

You can try asking. But what I heard from my friends is that doctors will only give out HL if there are any issues. So not likely that they will give unless there are any valid reasons for concern.

Can. But see if gynAe give. Mine didn’t want to give cuz he said it’s better for me to move around. If it’s too tiring can explore telecommuting (if your work permits)?

VIP Member

Hi there mommy! How far along are you? Usually gynae will only grant HL if you have any health issues. Maternity can start 4 weeks earlier than you EDD.

4y ago

I dont want to use ML before EDD....

I got 8 weeks HL until the day I deliver. Was not admitted. Just requested from my gyane (private hospital) and he happily gave it to me.

1y ago

Which private hospital and gynae

VIP Member

Check with ur GYNAE. I presume they will allow for HL. Coz stress / travel may risk BB too

u sure you want to utilize all these leave before EDD? HL is not easily given though