Can any of u please enlighten me on this : why the avocados that I bought from supermarket , instead of turning dark brown n ripens, they start to rot? I saw that they have Turn soft n starting to rot at the TOP area . I jus leave them outside at room temperature.. what could I have done instead?

Post image
4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

avocados ripen at room temperature. when place in the fridge the ripen process stops. when it ripes, u shld keep it in fridge so that it can last another few days. if u don't it will turn mouldy. I believe the avocados were kept in the fridge at one point in time when it's in the supermarket. that's y the ripen process stopped n when u left it rot. my avocados from the supermarket also the same! so annoying! wasted a lot of avocados n money n they r not cheap!

Read more
7y ago

Same here! So frustrating ! I wasted so many avocados N I really find it so hard for them to get ripe

VIP Member

It also helps not to put rotten/overripe fruit next to the still good fruit. Something about ethylene being produced as they ripen and it's a gas so it spreads fast. Just remember the saying, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch!

7y ago

That could help.

VIP Member

I have no advice, but I got too frustrated wasting avocados that I made a resolution to only eat them from outside if I wanted to. Better than wasting them 😅

VIP Member

you can try placing it beside a bunch of bananas. it will help to ripen the avocadoes!

7y ago

Seriously ! That is New lesson for me .. I shall try it :) thanks babe :)