Parents,do you support the legalization of divorce in the philippines ? Why or why not ?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Yes with reservations? On the first thought, Filipinos who married in the Philippines might just end up switching partners in a blink of an eye and throw away the sacredness of marriage. It will just probably take away the chance for the couple to salvage their marriage through a sincere discussion because they'll have an 'easier' option for them if that divorce thing happened. And that would be scary just to think of. But on a second thought, I think if it's gonna be used by someone who really deserves to be in a better place rather than beside his/her abusive or terrible partner then divorce would help the person not to prolong the agony esp if there are kids involved.

Magbasa pa

I'm for the legalization of divorce. In some cases, such as in very abusive relationships, divorce can be the only way for the wife/husband to have a better life without their abusive partner. Annulment can be an option, but it takes too long and it does not address issues such as alimony, child custody, etc. Though, I think that we have to tweak the divorce law in such a way that no one will abuse the law for their own ends. If the relationship can be saved without having a divorce, then that should always be the first step.

Magbasa pa

Oo.kasi wala namang patutunguhan ang isang kasal qng wala na yung pagmamahal mo towards ur partner..mag aaway at mag aaway lg kayu. Dati ayaw ko ng divorce..kasi una .nagpakasal nga kayu dbah.panindigan sana yun tru thick and thin. Kasu may mga pagsubuk na cguru na d nakayanan kaya dun na ang punta.mhirap kasi na i push ang isang bagay ang wala na dbah..open minded lg cguru ako..its just my opinion..lalo lang mahihirapan ang both parties qng alam nman nilang parang wala na.:)

Magbasa pa

I'm not sure if I totally agree with the legalization of divorce because I'm scared at the thought that more and more people will get married just to try the lifestyle and file for a divorce later. My lola's Sunday sermon always involves the importance of marriage, "hindi yan parang isinubong kanin na kapag nakakapaso ay iluluwa." But then again, if a broken marriage affects the chidren, then I guess I'm also okay with it.

Magbasa pa

Though I think marriage is sacred and that the institution should be respected, I think divorce should be allowed in the Philippines. So many married Filipino couples are separated yet cannot cut ties because of our lack of a divorce law. It just makes things messier for their families. Annulment is only an option for people who can afford it, and having a provision for divorce equalizes things.

Magbasa pa

Before it becomes a law, of course dadaan yan ng due process. And before a petition gets approved, syempre madaming evidences and requirements, and you are not even sure if you will be granted or not. Marriage is sacred, yes, but let us also be realistic that there are couples who don't have a healthy relationship which affects the children the more they stay together.

Magbasa pa

Divorce should be allowed in this country. We are all humans and we make mistakes even in choosing the better half we once thought would be the best for us. A lot of women and children are suffering from marriage failure yet cannot cut ties properly because annulment is way too expensive and the process takes a lot of time.

Magbasa pa

Of course, there should be legal grounds before a divorce can take place. Legalization means it will undergo due process. So, yes. As long as it undergoes due process just like any other law, then it should be fine. A lot of couples are suffering just because they don't have a choice.

This is hard because I have friends who are in abusive marriages. But still, I am against divorce. Just like Bea, I am afraid that people will get married then divorce after a few days or even hours just like in other countries.

If malalagay sa kapahamakan ang buhay ng magulang at kanyang mga anak yes. Yan lang ang magiging ground para pumayag ako. Pero yung indifferences sa pag uugali, hindi yan mainam na dahilan para sa ligal na paghihiwalay.