Holiday or no holiday

Hello parents would you spend a huge amount of your savings on a dream holiday which you know the kids would love you for it, on a situation that theres only 1 breadwinner in the family? and slowly build up the savings again or just carry on dreaming abt that holiday....

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

No I won’t. Kids will always want holidays, treats, toys etc because they don’t fully understand the value of money and saving for future needs. Please don’t ever feel like you are shortchanging your kids just because they don’t go on exotic holidays, or compare yourself with other families. It is far more important to ensure that there is money for emergencies, education needs, future retirement needs. There are other ways to have a good holiday eg weekend stay at neighboring countries like JB, Bintan. Or just have fun excursions to various places in Singapore.

Read more

Ideally your savings for the future and savings for when you want to treat your family should be different. If you want to save and still want to go on a holiday with your family, I think it should be done that way. It’s okay to indulge from time to time, just make sure there’s still a safety net after you do so.

Read more
TapFluencer

What we do as a family is make a plan on the places we want to visit and save up for it. We would do a preliminary check as to how much the holiday would cost and see how it weighs against our other planned expenses for the year. If our dream location is still out of budget, we just move it to the next year.

Read more
VIP Member

There are alot of holiday destinations that doesn’t require you to spend alot & i’m sure your kids will still enjoy & will love it. Going for a holiday doesn’t mean spending alot. You can still go for a budget trips 😊 or you can spend some activities locally.

VIP Member

a dream holiday can always happen, as long you have plans and save up for it. it doesn't need to happen now. how about going for a holiday to some where near first? after all, it's the bonding that's more important.

VIP Member

I would absolutely not blow up my savings on a dream holiday - the stress of money doesn’t make it worth it in my opinion

Budget wisely for the holiday. You don’t want to spend needlessly and end up broke when you need the cash.

VIP Member

Spend wisely. Always save for rainy days

VIP Member

save it for future