Papaya is a complete no no during the first trimester of pregnancy. Can I have it in the second trimester?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Papaya is generally safe to eat during pregnancy, as long as it is ripe. A well ripened papaya is rich in vitamin C and E. It is also a good source of fibre and folic acid. They also helps to prevent and control constipation and heartburn. Papaya or papaya enzymes are sometimes recommended for soothing indigestion, which is common during pregnancy. However if the papaya is unripe, then it is not safe to eat. An unripe or semi-ripe papaya is rich in a substance called latex. Research shows that this concentrated form of latex may trigger uterine contractions. The papaya enzyme that helps sooth indigestion is called papain, or vegetable pepsin. They can ruin the chance of fetus’s survival or impede fatal growth and development. For mummies who have history of abortion or premature birth because of womb contraction, papain could be very dangerous. So, avoid papaya if you ever had pregnancy problems before. Unripe papaya sap can cause miscarriage if consumed in the first stages of pregnancy. While for mummies who are entering third trimester, eating raw papaya can cause premature birth. As a safety measure, many pregnant mummies exclude papaya from their diets altogether. Despite the research, it is a traditional belief that eating papaya can cause miscarriage and stillbirth.

Read more

actually some say not to eat papaya cz it can cause miscarriage. but then again, the western side does it all the time and nothing hppns. so to answer ur question, yes u can but in moderation. if in doubts ask ur presonal health care provider for advise. 😊

I'm not sure why papaya is a no no for the first trimester but as I'm Thais and when Thais are pregnant, we are craving of papaya salad.😋😋😋

3y ago

🤤🤤🤤 Papaya salad....

I had papaya through out my pregnancy - did not even know it was a no no for first trimester

VIP Member

Just eat! In moderation though! don't restrict yourself to anything!

Moderation is key. Eat whatever you like but in moderation

thanks

avoid pineapples din daw . nabasa ko sa articles...

VIP Member

Its safe to eat.. but in moderation

VIP Member

everything in moderation.