Raw food

Is it okay for pregnant mums to eat raw fish often?

47 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Generally, pregnant women are strongly adviced against eating anything that is not fully cooked - including but not limited to sushi, raw fish, sashimi, steak (anything below well done), half-boiled/sunny side up eggs etc. This is because there's the risk of getting salmonella infection from them which could be really bad :/

Read more

As long as the establishment is clean and food is fresh. Should not be an issue in most restaurants in Singapore (as advised by my gynae), pregnant women eat sashimi all the time in Japan too Of course, better to avoid if you want to eliminate all risk. I would only eat if the cravings are hitting!

Read more

My gynae approved of me eating raw sashimi and halfboiled egg once I completed my 1st trim. He only requested that I got it from proper sources and not roadside stalls. So far so good :)

Read more

Even obgyn will advise pregnant mum not to take any raw fish, or raw food which is not fully cook, in case of any possible risk of infection. Better to be safe than sorry.

VIP Member

I did eat salmon sashimi & half boiled eggs here and there during my pregnancy but significantly cut down on the times I had them though the craving was there.

TapFluencer

Doctors mostly advice against it as there's a high chance of getting a bacterial infection. Especially if the fish has been frozen prior to being eaten.

VIP Member

Oh no no. Better not. Cos of the possibility of parasites. Fish is full of them which is why you need to cook it throughly

VIP Member

Last trim is ok! Hahah i had it once during first trim. But better not to if ur hubby and parents don allow.

VIP Member

Nope. Please avoid. You are sharing your body with your baby; any infection might affect your baby 😊

VIP Member

I avoided all raw food during pregnancy due to risk of food poisoning. Which can lead to miscarriage.