My in law invited us over for dinner. But she only cooked curry and white rice! My 5 years old boy don't take spicy food so I fed him before visiting my in law. However , my in law were not happy , saying that my boy don't appreciate her cooking (curry)! I was dumbfounded !

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If only you had known earlier, could have brought some other side dishes over as "contribution". I'm guessing she's just disappointed (perhaps she spent a lot of effort cooking the curry) that your boy did not get to sample her cooking. If I were you, I would probably just tell her that your boy doesn't eat curry when you cook it too. So, it's nothing personal and hopes she understand. ;)

Read more

yes agree with what other mummies share,i let my lo try to eat the curry with plain rice,when lo cry if it too spicy let ur hub take the role to tell your mil that ur lo is still small to eat spicy , if ur lo knows how to talk you can try ask your lo if is too spicy.Let your inlaw hear from your lo that its spicy will be much more better

Read more

This is ridiculous expecting a 5yo to eat spicy curry when some adults can’t even stomach it well. It might cause him the runs also. Your husband should have stepped in for your son. Anyway with your in-laws mindset to begin with, I think reasoning won’t work for them. It must have been hard for you. Hugs.

Read more
VIP Member

If not very spicy, try adding a bit of sugar. That how some people train kids to take curry. If after adding sugar is still spicy, than no choice but to show them, your boy can't take too spicy food so history won't repeat.

Mil are a weird creature sometimes But get her to slowly understand If too spicy get them fry up an egg Or what I do I bring my own food and everyone eats together It’s her grandchild No way she wants to see him suffer

Read more

Does they know your boy can't take spicy food? If so, I believe kids is very honest and would say they can't take spicy. Say it in another way that you have try feed him before outside but he can't take it.

Try to let your kid eat in front of your in laws..kids will reject if they don't like the food. Hubby can then step in mention kid can't take spicy food now, will let him try again when he gets older.

Jus let ur husband do his job to tell ur in law it spicy ur son don't know how to eat.. Talk back only sour ur relationship with ur in law and ur husband will be the "hotdog" in the middle..

if i were you i will just let my child eat alittle. if is really too spicy for my child, at least they can hear it from him. if he refuse to eat also not my fault

Talk to your husband let your husband talk to her, don't piont her cos MlL is your elder.