My husband’s six-year-old daughter from previous marriage has not accepted me even after one year of marriage. Any tips to make her open up to me?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

She must be having vivid memories of her mom if she has lived with her. And if not even then you area new entry to the home. Probably she must have become insecure. Till now she was the sole person whom her father would be giving attention to, and since you have come, she must be sharing that attention. And I hope she hasn't heard any stories of princesses with step moms! She is just 6-year-old, and must be confused insecure dealing with this new development in her life. Give her time. First try to become her friend. Engage in activities with her. Go on picnics. Don't make her feel or do anything in front of her that would make her feel that her father loves you more than her. Let the friendship between you and her grow gradually. Let it take its own time and don't hurry into it. Eventually, with time, she will accept you. There's long time ahead, she would need 'mother's love' the most with each passing day. And your love and care will make her trust you and love you. Discuss with your husband and he will help your bonding grow with her.

Read more

I was on same exact shoe. I calmly says to my step daughter that I am not to replace her mommy, she doesnt need to accept me nor reject me but she needs to respect me as I am her dad’s wife now. I didnt expect much from her and just be friends. It’s a struggle and needs a lot of patience because it a process, but you can do it, just prepare your heart for many more feeling of rejection. Don’t try to stop her so hard or give instruction yet. Try to know her first, let her introduce who she is without judgement, and from that,you adjust where she is and you both go to the direction of where you want your relationship be best at. My stepdaughter and I started to become friends and as the days goes by she started trusting me that I’m a friend and she opens herself up to me little by little. We’re like bff’s now she is already 10yo she was 6 when she lived with us. You are not replacement of her mommy, but you are an additional mommy :)

Read more

Step children often feel confused about new family relationship so give yourselves more time and patience. Research shows that children under the age of five will bond with a stepparent within one to two years. However, older children may take as many years as their age when the remarriage takes place. Connect with her on a daily basis, know what is her basic needs and what she needs. Be a part of her daily activities as well, send her to school, ask about their their CCA etc. Be a friend and share your interest or skills with her. Having shared interest will stengthen the connection. Most importantly be genuine and let things develop naturally. Good luck!

Read more

Don’t trust anyone it’s sad when your wife is having love affairs with your best friend, i noticed my wife is get too much closer with my friend Peter, my wife chats now in private, her calls are in secret and she changed her phone password, I was wondering what going wrong, on till my sister introduced me to HACKERSPYVILLE @ GMAILCOM who help me to hack my wife phone a need to touch her phone, in less than 6 hours after her phone was finally hacked, her messages coming into my phone instantly. WWW . HACKERSPYVILLE .COM

Read more
Post reply image

Communication is the key. Talk to her and find out why? Or could it be that she felt threaten and the fear of losing her dad? I think the need to reassure her that you are now part of the family so that she would more secure. Especially if the daughter is at the age of 6 where she requires a lot tender loving care. Alternatively, Speak to your husband and let him to be the one to approach this issue, it makes your step-daughter easier to open up.

Read more

I'm using this opportunity to recommend a very good man to you, a man who helped me when I really need his services, the only who delivered right and didn't fail me, he even delivered within a vary short period of time, if you really need help you can contact him through gmail via [email protected] if you're in need of help you can contact for any kind of hacking jobs. WWW.HACKERSPYVILLE.COM

Read more
Post reply image

Be a friend first before you try to become a 'mom'. This will take time especially if she's close to her real mom. Be patient. Don't force it. Try to get involved in activities that interest her. Get to know her and be genuinely interested in her as a person without seeking some sort of validation. She'll come around.

Read more
VIP Member

Be a friend to her. Listen to her talk about her day and plan more activities together as a family. It takes time and patience.

True above, treat her as a friend don't make think you are a stepmother. let her know you are stepping into her life to love her.

VIP Member

This is hard. Do something that truly touch her heart. It takes time to learn what she actually care.