My daughter is 5 months old and my husband has not bonded with her at all. After six years of marriage, he feels like our relationship is gone because of the baby. He tells me he's not ready to be a father, and he seems very depressed. I've told him he needs to get help or I'll leave. What else can I do? Please help.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

To be honest you have to take your husband's words seriously even though it can sound disappointing to a new mum as mums are generally finds it easier to bond with their babies compared to their spouse. There are also cases where even some new mums can't enjoy bonding with their baby for unknown reasons and yes, it can be taboo for admitting that. I am sure your husband also do not want to supress his true feelings to you. He might be overwhelmed with his new identity and set of responsibilities and commitment to the family. You have to balance it out by showing him some concern from time to time without showing that baby comes first. Unless its a case of bad marriage or abuse, remember our spouse do come first, give him more time to adjust since your baby is only 5 months old. My husband was only more interactive our son when he talks and walks. He finds that baby stage is "boring" as they can't talk, walk and only wanted to cry and sleep. But I also try my best to cater my attention by breastfeeding my then baby and also continue intimacy with husband which does help the marriage in some way.

Read more