My 4 year old wants to read the same picture story book again and again, how do I vary it ??

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I think if I'm on the same page (pun intended ^^) with you, I'll keep the book away from my child for some times and introduce a book that is of similar type to her. Like similar cover, perhaps characters but with different story? So as to get rid of the obsession a bit. But I know for sure it's like a "Eureka!" feeling again when they reunite. LOL Quoting from this article though explains why our kids love repetition over small things like your scenario: "To your toddler, so much of what she does is a new skill, and repetition is her way of remembering how to perform it the next time." http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/behavioral/why-toddlers-love-repetition/

Read more

Does the book that you and your child have been reading belong to a series? If so, perhaps you can get more books from the same series. This way, your child gets to read about the same characters but in different plots and settings. When we were little, my younger brother was crazy about a Berenstein Bear book I brought home after winning a prize in school. He would read it over and over again, or make my mother read it to him repeatedly. Needless to say my mom got bored of it and went out to buy him a few more books from the Berenstein Bears series and subsequently, over the years, he has amassed a pretty impressive collection, which he treasures till today.

Read more

I went to a seminar and they say normally kids will only remember a word after we say it 250 times so I guess they don't remember that they read it. My girls also ask to tell them the same bed time story every night. I guess it's good cause after repeating so many times, they can remember the story and will tell me the story back. Or if I twist the story alittle, they will say it's wrong. Think that is how they learn I guess. Practice makes perfect.

Read more

Maybe you can ease your child into liking other books by choosing books similar to the one your he or she loves so much? I'm sure there'll come a time when your toddler will be more open to other stories. I agree with Sheena, too. Present your child with a wide array of choices and ask him or her to choose more than one. Colorful and engaging covers can also attract your child in wanting to learning more about a certain story.

Read more

Hi, I attended a Parent Workshop by Lorna Whiston and asked the same question! The answer was , it's perfectly ok! And the analogy given - as adults, we have our favorite book / movie which we will read / watch over and over again. Yet - everytime we read / watch - we will learn something new or remember something. And that's how our little ones learn too. 👌🏻

Read more
VIP Member

It just like me when i was toddler! Huahahaah Speaking from my point of view, your kid might grow up to be a very good story teller. S/he memorized what you tell and then your kid telling it back to his/her friend. Also, it helps your kid to be attention to details. You don't believe it? Try to eliminate some part of the story. See if S/he notice ot not. I bet they will :)

Read more

It is believed that one of the best ways to give this a boost is through read-aloud time. Studies have shown that vocabulary is the single greatest predictor of success when a child starts formal learning. The child that understands more will naturally be able to learn more and then once a child can read, personal vocabulary either feeds or frustrates reading comprehension.

Read more
VIP Member

Try hiding her fav book for a while! and make sure to pick up a book, read through it together and then say 'go put it back in the pile and bring another one'. here is a great article as well to check out when she starts reading books with words: http://sg.theasianparent.com/10-ways-to-encourage-your-kids-to-form-a-reading-habit/

Read more

That's a tough one than it sounds. Kids can be super sticky and clingy sometimes. Get her a new picture book and tell him this is same book but next story or something. Or just hide his current book somewhere, say some crow took it away, and he'll cry, and want a new book which you can take advantage of

Read more

Most children want to read a storybook or watch a tv show again and again Coz they like to know what is going on already. They want to be in control of the things around them so as to make them feel good. Read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erikson%27s_stages_of_psychosocial_development for more info.

Read more