14 Replies

You can show her the images from this article: http://www.zimbio.com/For+The+Win/articles/E2mo0lYpT9F/Artist+Gave+Disney+Princesses+Haircut+Results hee.. Actually I think you can mention to her that a simple trim (slightly short, layered hair) will make her feel cooler in Singapore's hot and humid weather. This does not mean she will be getting a short hairstyle (unless that is your intention?). If she is really not keen, perhaps you will need to learn some hair tying skills (pinning up her fringe may also help). Reasoning usually helps, do so when the weather is really unbearable and when she is complaining about the heat (though girls being girls, she may still rather put up with the heat than to go for a trim). One last suggestion is to get your wife to bring her along when she is getting a haircut herself. Modelling works well too. ;)

Nice! Slowly but surely, she will learn to accept it. Keep emphasizing how cute she looks now with short fringe may help as positive reinforcement. ;p

Find a kids' only salon in your area and make an event out of the whole thing, let her put on a princess outfit with some lip gloss and a purse if you must, arrange for her to get her finger and toenails done too. Princesses get pampered all the time so do that, make a big deal out of it then take her out for ice cream afterwards. Ask the hairdresser to address her as Princess so and so if need be.

Tell your daughter that real life princesses keep their hair short these days. For example, Princess Estelle of Sweden, daughter to the Crown Princess looks adorable with short hair, which she styles with pretty headbands, hair clips and even braids :) Short hair doesn't make a little girl less princessy, being a princess comes from within :)

VIP Member

What is the other things she does not like doing/going to. Say it's to the Dentist? Then I would give her two choices - hey baby, which would you prefer to do today, cut your hair or visit the Dentist? Having the perception of choice might make her say cut hair. Let me know if the trick works, seems to work with my little Nephew. :)

I would avoid offering a negative choice, teaches them to do things for the wrong reasons. Try making it fun. Shopping, afternoon tea, mini manicure together and hair cut for both of you. It's pampering not a hassle.

Have your kid watch 'inside out' movie? The character 'Joy' has a short hair. If she likes the character or any others with short hair, maybe can show them to her and give gifts related to the character (soft toy/shirts/books etc) if she agreed to cut hair.

Previously, my son hated haircut. I brought him to salon that comes with kiddy ride and finally he is okay with haircut. If your girl likes kiddy rides too, you can use it to persuade your girl in exchange of a haircut.

My kids are really tough one when come to trimming hair. So, i have to learn up trimming by watching youtube. Try to find a friendly hairdresser that will be able to handle kids well. Good luck.. Haha

VIP Member

Explain to get by showing her pictures of other cartoon characters like Dora The Explorer etc and how short hair can look great too! Maybe don't cut too much all at once, do it gradually (:

My Daughter is 6 and I cut her hair once only. Hair bands are easier than fringes. Her hair is gorgeous, soft and curly and we brush it only during bath with conditioner on.

Is there any kid salon near by? My daughter refused to go as well but we took her to kid salon and there are so many toy to catch her attention and it works!

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles