Electric pump

Hi mummies ! For newborn babies, how do you use electric pump everyday ?? Is it a must to pump every 3 hours in a day ? What if you skip pumping will anything happen ?? Please help me >

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

If you’re building your supply, yes, you can pump frequently. But there’s also no point in making yourself burn out, especially if you’re also latching. I was taught by the LC that you can pump about 5x/day in between latching just to build up your milk storage and keep the production going. Even at 4-5h intervals of pumping, the supply can be good:) so don’t make life too hard for yourself. Breastfeeding is supposed to feel rewarding, not tiring and stressful

Read more
TapFluencer

After latch pump if you want to have more supply. If you don't pump 3 hourly for the first 2 month you may not have enough supply when baby is older. If you're going to work you might not have spare milk. If you feel full and don't pump you will get Engorment or worse Mastitis. I tried dragging and got that worst pain of my life. Mastitis is super painful worst than giving birth.

Read more
VIP Member

Hi dear! For myself when I just gave birth I had quite low supply. So yes, I pumped every 2-3 hours in the first 2 months. When you pump more frequently you are telling your body to make more milk for baby. Then your supply will build up.. now my baby is 20 weeks and exclusively breastfed.. so yes, I believe pumping really works!

Read more
4y ago

Hard and bloated feeling in your breast? Is it blocked ducts or engorged? Do you wanna try to go for massage and see if it helps?

I needed to pump every 1 and a half hr to 2. Too much supply😭 headache 😫 wah if u were to miss ur pumping time u will feel like dying and u might have engorgement and thats even painful!!! Baby cant latch well too, milk flowing too fast keep choking. So RMB U must not be lazy.Dont skip ur pumping time!

Read more
Super Mum

I pumped every 3-5 hours during the first 2 months or so. If pumping coincides with feeding time, i'd just pump 15mins after latching. After my supply is established and regulated, now i latch and haakaa most of the time, and pump only when missed feeding time.

4y ago

When and how do you know that your supply is established and regulated ??

Currently i only pump a few times a day. But as i have over supply, i try to latch my baby both sides and also haakaa while nursing. I am using an electric pump, it can run on battery, but it feels stronger when it is plug in.

4y ago

It is this silicon manual pump. Mothercare sells it, but you can purchase from shopee or lazada, cheaper. https://shopee.sg/product/42588802/1896180712?smtt=0.0.9

Hi, It really varies from individual to individual but if you reduce the frequency of pumping, the millk supply also decreases as the body gets trained accordingly

VIP Member

hi, I started off pumping 3hrly. but now, my baby (1m plus) I pump every 5-6h. I'll pump after I DL baby too

4y ago

Hiii the baby only can suck one side of the breast for me >< your one month plus baby can allow you to latch properly ?? What’s your breast feeding frequency sia ? Mine keep suck until fall asleep then awhile only wake up crying again

Super Mum

Depends on individual. Generally for new borns would probably need a feed between 2-4hrs.

4y ago

Is it really a must to stick to the every 3-4 hours pump ? I’ve been pumping every 3 hours continuously for few days alresdy and I feel really exhausted.. but my breast surrounding area just keep feeling the hard and bloated feeling..

VIP Member

If you skip pumping and not give direct bf. your milk supply will get lesser

4y ago

need a massage and pump at the same time.. last time I do that