Manual vs Electric Breast pump

Hi all! FTM here. How do you know which pump is suitable? I’m planning to get the electric breast pump but WHAT IF i can’t produce my own milk for my baby? Will it be a waste of money to get the electric one? My concern right now. If i were to get manual and i can provide breast milk to baby, i will eventually get the electric one too. So what is your best advice out there parents?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Typically u wld be able to produce milk, just a matter of whether u can produce enough. It's usually best with an electric pump because it's definitely much faster and less tiring. I'm an undersupplier and I hardly get anything with a manual pump but I cld get 150ml with an electric pump for a 15-20 min session. I did all I cld to increase supply from eating lactation cookies, eating supplements and also pumping aft latching. Having an electric pump makes it easier for me when I have to keep pumping every 3-4 hours aft baby latches in the first 3 months. Can't imagine doing it on a manual pump! So yes having a good electric pump is a very good investment esp if you're really committed to giving ur baby your breastmilk. I recommend Spectra S1 and if u want sth small for work eventually, Baby Buddha has an incredible suction.

Read more
Super Mum

Suitability does have to factor your body after delivery so you are right to be concerned but it’s just not something that anyone can predict. It depends on whether you have available funds and are willing to make a loss if it’s not suitable. The best approach is to latch baby and pump only to increase / maintain supply. If you want to increase supply, electric pump is more efficient as there is massage mode. If you hope to continue pump after maternity leave, and you will be apart from your baby during work, electric is more efficient to clear your breasts. Do note that even if you decide to get an electric pump, you also need to consider the type and size of flange you want. Some like handsfree while some are ok with the normal flange. Size depends on your nipple size.

Read more

It depends. If you’re going to have a confinement nanny and the baby’s going to be taken care of by nanny at night, you should probably get a pump now. Unless you are intending to handle the nights on your own, like I did, I never did pump, I just latched all the way until I had to go back to work. I think try not to think of the what ifs for now and get one. If you are worried about costs, you can get one set that is not by the top brands like spectra/medela. You can get from brands like Youha, imani, or loveamme which are slightly cheaper, but works just as effectively.

Read more

Buy electric pump more worth it, save time. Spectra has alot of good reviews.