Breastfeeding.

Hi mummies.. I've just given birth three days ago on Mothers day. Baby is day two now. I have a question. I decided to direct latch feed on demand for my baby however baby is demanding for milk every hour which makes my MIL and confinement nanny and my hubby thinks I don't have enough milk to satisfy baby and insist I pump out and bottle feed my baby. Baby was fine from breastfeeding in the hospital latching an hour (30 mins each side) and self detach latch after satisfied and comes back for milk after every three hours. But after reaching home baby starts to cry for milk every 2hrs then 1hr. What should I do?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Day 2 is too early to tell if your supply is low! I didn't have a single drop until day 3-4 but still had enough supply eventually. Your body your choice so don't let others dictate what you do. The hourly feeding won't last forever and your supply will gradually increase so hang in there mummy. And congrats on giving birth on such a special day!

Read more

It’s very normal , pls don’t worry ...initially breast milk supply will be low, instead colostrum is produced which is full of goodness for the baby. It’s only through repeated feeding does milk supply get regulated ... for me it took around 1 week for proper milk supply. Pls hang on and carry on with on demand feeding.

Read more
5y ago

Yes that's what I read on and wanted for my baby but others were not supportive and keep insisting me to pump to feed my baby.. I don't want to pump and feed to avoid nipple confusion. But they keep wanting me to pump and bottle feed so that she will stop asking for milk too often..

Super Mum

Hi. I think you should stick by your decision not to pump out as yoy are right about nipple confusion since your baby is still so young. Try to stick to direct latching till about one month before giving bottle. I have been through this as well. Jiayou, mummy!

Read more

Hey dear don't let others dictate what to do. If you have chose to only breastfeed just do. For the 1st 2 weeks at least have to feed on demand every hr or so. Subsequently ur body will produce enough milk for baby. Do not give up!

VIP Member

Encourage you to keep latching (and haakaa the other side if you have letdown). Do lookout for enough wet diapers to show the bb is drinking enough. If bb doesnt gain weight at all then it may be an issue to look into.

It's normal for the demand. Try to pump regularly for storage, the more you pump the more supply you will have.