Breastfeeding

Hi Mummies.. I am latching my 3 months old lo on demand and pump after every session to keep my supply. However I realize that I still get about 80-100mls when I pump after each nursing session. I am a low to average supply mum so it makes me wonder if my lo is getting enough milk during breastfeeding or is she just sucking but not drinking. She can latch for more than 45 mins each session. So far, diaper output is very good. But weight gain is not very good. How else to tell if baby getting enough milk.. Please advise.. TIA ?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Keep in mind that pumping output is never an indicator of baby's intake..diaper output is a good indicator, weight gain would vary for each baby and we would also have to consider their percentiles on the growth chart. If baby is otherwise happy and latching well, then there shouldnt be anything to worry about. For my 8mo, she gets distracted and unlatch all the time, so I'd know if she hasnt had enough when she gets whiny and unsettled. You are doing great, mummy!

Read more
VIP Member

Totally agree with mrs loh! Just keep monitoring the diapers! Should be the pumping after every session is really working, and is helping in building up the supply!

TapFluencer

I think you can try bottle feed to know how much your Lo drinking and can make sure they drink properly. I bottle feed during day and latch at night